Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iCal in 10.6 -"The server did not recognize your user name or password for account" (iCal suddenly giving error each time it syncs to server)
  •  
hello

Send a private message to this user
Only seems to be affecting Snow Leopard iCal clients..these clients were connecting without any issue until this week. I upgraded KERIO to v7.1.4 after problem started to see if it would help but has not.

Accounts are able to authorize the first time and download all events...then any future attempts give me the following pop-up window error:
The server did not recognize your user name or password for account

Console log shows this error:
CalDAV CalDAVRefreshDelegateListQueueableOperation failed: status 'HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized' request:

I have re-added account using the 'Auto Configure' tool and by adding as CalDav. no change. I have created a brand new user and used the auto config tool...same issue.

My Leopard systems are not having any issue only the 3 systems running snow leopard...the only common thing I can come up with is Snow Leo BUT they are running different versions (10.6.4, 10.6.7) and I did not have any problems prior to this weekend (even before the KERIO update)

I sent this to KERIO support but thought I would ask the community at large.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
  •  
stewie

Chris, we have the exact same problem here.

Just started happening late last week. Only a handful of users have been effected so far & it's only snow leopard, not leopard users. (In this case, the problem occurs on macs using OSX 10.6.4-6 & iCal v4.0.3-4 against Kerio 7.1.1 build 1951.) What's confounding is no updates have been applied during this time, so how are multiple users now being effected?

I looked at packet captures & don't see much difference. Both iCal v4 & iCal v3 collect some delegate/shared calendar data but when finished iCal v4 throws an error whereas iCal v3 is ready to go. iCal v4 does query for more information than v3, but Kerio responds that most of these are not supported & so iCal should ignore them (but if it doesn't then maybe that's the problem).

Users report that iCal v4 is mostly usable despite this error message. This appears to be true. For example, even after the error I can create an event then use webmail to verify the event was written to the server. I think invites still work, too...I think.

Chris, if you have anything more to contribute to this problem I'm eager to learn more.

Thanks.
  •  
hello

Stewie,

Exactly what is confusing me...I did not change anything before this began happening (client or server). You are correct that the changes made are still being applied to KERIO even with the error message.

KC v7.1.4 is running on a dual G5 xserve running Tiger server.

I have seen something like this before but it was after I had upgraded a client machine from Leopard to Snow Leopard. The fix was to upgrade the version of KC (a known issue at the time)

I am still trying to resolve this and Kerio support has not given me any real suggestions beyond what I have tried already.

Chris
  •  
stewie

Thanks for the info, Chris!

BTW, this is definitely a problem fetching delegates (as your error indicates "CalDAVRefreshDelegateListQueueableOperation). If you:
rm -rf ~/Library/Calendars/
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.*
then open iCal, it will initialize & retrieve your events successfully. But look under the Window menu, no users appear. When you refresh or relaunch iCal it will then try to build the list of delegates/users, & it's at this point where the error occurs. Odd.

This may be a very long shot but I wonder if the recent time change is playing any role in this issue. It's the only thing I can think of that would explain how both of our systems would be effected.
  •  
hello

I see what you mean about the delegates issue.

I deleted any delegate calendars from the web interface and in iCal but it is not making a difference. This might be related to the shared public folders but they are shared by default and cannot be unsubscribed.

Regarding the time change...didn't we spring forward something like 3 weeks ago...so why would we only see the issue last week?

Thanks again for your comments.
  •  
zentinL

We were having this problem today and I used an old fix for a previous issue we had and it sorted it out. You are right about it being related to delegates. What I found is that the hidden .caldav.db file which is a cache file for all the delegate permissions for caldav was corrupt. The file paths here are for mac, but you should be able to find it on your system easily if using another OS.

1. Stop Kerio Mail Server
2. Go to this similar general path in your instal "/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/store/mail/"
3. In this directory there should be a file named .caldav.db. Rename it to something like .caldav.db.bak1. On Mac and Linux it will be hidden so you want to do all this from the terminal as root.
4. Restart Kerio Mail Server

The file will then be rebuilt over time. What you will see is that delegates you can view in iCal will slowly start to appear as the Kerio Mailserver crawls through all users mail folders on the server and reads their delegate permissions. After about an hour on ours (120 or so users) they all show up. The only annoying thing about this is you often have to go back into iCal preferences and reclick the "show" boxes for any users you want to see in your left hand side of the main iCal window. But it fixed this issue and has fixed it in the past as well.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2011 20:32]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

This problem can happen when the user who is sharing his calendar to other users is disabled in the user database. iCal is trying to open the calendar in disabled account. It is going to be fixed in Connect 7.2.0.
  •  
zentinL

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 06 April 2011 20:48
This problem can happen when the user who is sharing his calendar to other users is disabled in the user database. iCal is trying to open the calendar in disabled account. It is going to be fixed in Connect 7.2.0.

Thanks for the update on that. I've now realized that this issue DOES indeed happen right around when an employee leaves the company. It affects all of our users since we make it mandatory that everyone has to provide read only access to the whole domain so everyone can see each others public schedules.

So 7.2 may fix the issue going forward but rebuilding the caldav database file is the only work around I've seen until then.
  •  
stewie

Dang it! I just wrote a nice long write up of the transaction taking place between iCal & Kerio & you guys had to go solve the problem Wink

It's very odd because iCal loops through each user/resource then iCal reports:Quote:
iCal[82267] CalDAV CalDAVRefreshDelegateListQueueableOperation failed: status 'HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized' request:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<x0:propfind xmlns:x1="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:caldav" xmlns:x0="DAV:">
<x0:prop>
<x0:principal-URL/>
<x0:displayname/>
<x1:calendar-user-address-set/>
</x0:prop>
</x0:propfind>
... response:
HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Connection: Close
Www-Authenticate: Basic realm="mail.company-xyz.com"
suggesting that it's looking for yet another user.

But tcpdump shows no propfind request from iCal. (It looks like no communication takes place after the last request.)

Further, when iCal.app requests a calendar from a deactivated user, Kerio replies seemingly appropriately:Quote:
4/5/11 2:23:33 PM iCal[82267] -[DAVRequest:0x11575d770 _computeHeaders] READ
HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Connection: Close
Content-Type: text/html
Www-Authenticate: Basic realm="mail.company-xyz.com"
and iCal just continues on it's merry way.

Oh well, I'll try your fix in the morning. Thanks for all the input. Glad it wasn't the time change after all Wink
  •  
hello

Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help on this. I will try the procedure this weekend after hours when it has time to rebuild.

Stewie...Now that I think about it....last week I was trying to clean up some of my accounts and deleted an ex employee name that was no longer being used. This might have caused the issue for me...interesting that we both had this happen around the same time.

Thanks again,

Chris
Previous Topic: Sync Conflicts when responding to emails - Kerio Connect for Blackberry
Next Topic: Mac Address Book snail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:40:19 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.