Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Unable to connect to Kerio internally
  •  
gileswr

Send a private message to this user
This may be a bit more of a network-type question, but someone may know the answer.

We have Kerio Connect installed on a windows 2003 server in our office. Our connectivity is provided by ADSL through a Draytek 2820 router. We are unable to connect to the Kerio server internally using the domain name assigned to our external IP address. I was actually unable to ping either the external IP address or associated domain name until I disabled the firewall on Windows 7 (didn't seem to have this issue on XP boxes), however this is now possible. When trying to configure an account in outlook using the kerio connector it fails as being unable to connect to the server.

If you specify the internal IP address it works fine.

If you configure the account externally, specifying the domain name it connects fine.

The problem seems to be with resolving the external IP address internally.

I have edited the hosts file to point the domain name at the internal IP address, but that is no good for laptops that need to be able to connect internally and externally.

What I had thought might be possible would be to tell the Draytek router to resolve internal requests for the mail.domainname.com to the internal IP address, but can't see whether that is possible. Either way - with the windows 7 firewall disabled I can ping the mail.domainname.com, just not connect with the Kerio Connector.

Any thoughts?
  •  
zebby

Do you run your own DNS server for internal name resolution?

If so you could create a forward lookup zone for you mail domain and create an A record for you mail server pointing to the internal IP.

•  
stupot1397

Are you running active directory?

As you can connect with an IP address and not the domain name, then this is definitely a DNS issue.

If you are running AD, you will have a DNS server. Then you can get this setup without too much trouble.

•  
gileswr

Apologies - actually got it fixed. The problem was with the Draytek router. The latest firmware (3.3.4 I believe) "broke" NAT loopback. Managed to get hold of an RC3 of the latest version (3.3.5) from Draytek which fixed this issue.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  •  
uptimjeff

just a thought...

relying on NAT loopback adds overhead to your router and potentially slows performance because LAN traffic has to be routed by the draytek.

If you use an internal DNS server, your clients/server communications can be direct without running through draytek.

Previous Topic: iCal address autofill w/Kerio on OS X Server 10.6
Next Topic: Synchronization Issues w/ Entourage 2008
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 13:48:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00377 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.