Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Blocking inter-domain attachments
  •  
afisher

Send a private message to this user
I know this sounds like a ridiculous idea but most of my 100 users have forgotten what a file server is and how it works. So instead of accessing files from the file server, they just email every document to each other. To make it worse they then save to email attachment to their desktop and not the file server.

So is there any way to block all attachments from within the my domain, but still allow them from outside domains?
  •  
j.a.duke

afisher wrote on Thu, 07 April 2011 08:23
I know this sounds like a ridiculous idea but most of my 100 users have forgotten what a file server is and how it works. So instead of accessing files from the file server, they just email every document to each other. To make it worse they then save to email attachment to their desktop and not the file server.

So is there any way to block all attachments from within the my domain, but still allow them from outside domains?

I've got a similar situation-our copiers can scan to either the file server or email-I'd like to have KC take a while to deliver the email so that people scan to the server as it's faster.

If you find a way to do this, I'd like to know so that I can hopefully adapt your technique.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
Kedar

Yes, you can limit maximum size of outgoing message, set some low value, e.g. 0,5-1MB, it's enough for big HTML messages without attachments.
Limit can be set per domain and tuned individually for each undisciplined user Smile

1. limit per domain:
Web Administration -> Configuration -> open your domain -> Messages -> Message size limit

2. limit per user:
Web Administration -> Configuration -> Users -> select your domain -> select your user -> Edit -> Messages -> Maximum message size

3. Try Kerio Workspace Smile
http://player.vimeo.com/video/15370661
  •  
afisher

Maybe I'm not understanding, but wouldn't that block legitimate attachments to other domains?

Ideally What I would like:

mydomain.com --------> mydomain.com BLOCKED!!
mydomain.com --------> outsidedomain.com ALLOWED!!
outsidedomain.com -----> mydomain.com ALLOWED!!
  •  
Kedar

hmm, this scenario is not possible as far as I know Sad
  •  
j.a.duke

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Thu, 07 April 2011 09:30
Yes, you can limit maximum size of outgoing message, set some low value, e.g. 0,5-1MB, it's enough for big HTML messages without attachments.
Limit can be set per domain and tuned individually for each undisciplined user Smile

1. limit per domain:
Web Administration -> Configuration -> open your domain -> Messages -> Message size limit

2. limit per user:
Web Administration -> Configuration -> Users -> select your domain -> select your user -> Edit -> Messages -> Maximum message size

3. Try Kerio Workspace Smile
http://player.vimeo.com/video/15370661

Thanks for the ideas.

Just a question on number 2: Is the limit for both incoming and outgoing messages for that mailbox or just outgoing (ie ones that they create)? I'd like to limit the size of the files from the account the copiers use to send the enclosures.

As for #3, I'm going to be ordering licenses for Workspace shortly-I've been testing it since August and find it to be a fabulous product. Now I just need to get people using it.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2011 16:33]

•  
Kedar

It's limit for sent messages from clients, incoming messages from outside domains have own limit for SMTP service.
Message size limits are described in Administrator's Guide: http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-limmsgs. html
Previous Topic: Error 1714 when installing KC 7.2 Beta 6
Next Topic: Where is E-Mail footer???
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 05:10:51 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00442 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.