Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Contacts Syncing and Sharing (10.6.7 Apple Address Book, IOS 4.3, CardDAV)
  •  
lodewijk

Send a private message to this user
Users will be using Apple 10.6.7 Address Book and IOS 4.3 devices.

Personal Contacts
will sync with the contacts folder in their kerio account.
Apple Address Book is setup with the auto config tool, IOS via exchange account.

Shared Company Contacts
One central and shared contact database is needed for the company where every contact related to the business is stored like suppliers, clients etc etc.

This is where it gets tricky,
putting everything in the Pubic Folder/Contacts (also the GAL, right?) seems to work in Apple Adress Book (although you can't seem to make groups, and the GAL group is empty)

Contacts behave very differently in Apple Address Book and IOS.
Address Book (via CardDAV) uses the categories as "groups" but does not show different contact folders created in webmail.

IOS devices (via exchange) on the other hand do show all the folders created in the webmail, but does not do categories/groups.

So using groups or categories to organize contact lists is not possible, but using one list for all your personal contacts, and having one big list for all company related contacts should suffice (for now anyway)

IOS might work more like Apple Address Book if it would be setup via CardDAV instead of exchange, but this it does not seem possible to use CardDAV with SSL and a self signed certificate. You can install the self signed certificate in IOS and it will appear under profiles in the settings, but you can not seem to trust it.

So using the Public folder to store all the company related contacts, does not work well in part because groups/categories/folders are not usable (not a deal breaker though) but the bigger problem is that on IOS the Public Contacts folder is only searchable not "brouwsable" like in Apple Address Book.

So to have a company related global shared contact list you need to setup up a kerio account specific for this and set it up additionally to a users own account on all computers and IOS devices. (yes this will cost you a license, but that is not a problem)

Setting it all up like this seems the most usable way to share and sync contacts, but there are a few downsides:

No groups, categories, folders to get organized. You will just have one list for personal contacts (you account) and one list of company related contacts (extra account also setup everywhere) We can live with this.
UPDATE: using groups in Apple Address Book does work and does sync to other Apple Address Book's you might be using, but you will just not see them on IOS.

Need to setup an extra account everywhere, not a big problem just annoying.

On IOS you will get 2 public folders and to GAL's setup (because you setup 2 accounts) not a problem, just annoying.

Syncing on IOS seems to take forever (maybe only the first time?) i only have 200 items, but the the company list will be over 2000!!
UPDATE: after a 3 hour sync my iphone was done, but many many contacts where missing all of it's info. So I reset everything and restored a backup of my contacts, this time the 1st sync on IOS was very very fast and no data loss!

Apple Address Book seems to make a "My contacts" group/category if you don't have any groups/categories, not a big problem.

Contacts in Apple Address Book that are marked as being a company AND also have a persons contact name in them, don't show as a company in IOS (not a biggie, can just make 2 contacts, one for the company, one for the person)

Saving an email address from Mail.app makes it go in to the "On My Mac folder",
I guess it should work that way, but the whole idea is not to use that folder!

I have not looked into the option of sharing your personal contact folder in webmail yet as we don't need this. (and the setup with Apple Address Book seems more or less broken anyway)

Kerio Sync Connector is not an option, we used to use it, but it slowly mangled our contacts one my one (a known issue with many contact items)

Should I even consider looking into the option of using CardDAV on IOS without SSL?
UPDATE: So the manual states it should be possible to use CardDAV via SSL!
it's just not working here, and going without SSL opening port 80 just for testing wont work either! getting en error in the log, will open a ticket for this now.
[13/Apr/2011 14:43:03] HTTP/WebDAV: User <_at_> doesn't exist. Attempt from IP address 195.....
UPDATE2: this is a known bug with IOS 4.1 and up, and will be fixed in Kerio 7.2
So using Exchange (Activesync) is the still the preferred protocol on IOS.

UPDATE3 april 28:
Tnx to forum user Spape it seems you can use CardDAV on IOS, but you need to setup the accounts via the Apple iPhone configuration Utility (see the reply's in this tread for the settings)

We have now switched our contacts syncing on IOS from exchange/active sync to CardDAV and things are much, much better, no missing phone numbers, able to use the groups in Address Book, no more errors flooding the logs, no more warm iPhones and draining batteries!

UPDATE April 18:
Syncing seems very, very fast with only a few hundred contacts in our own setup, I will be deploying this at a client tomorrow with about 2500 contacts running Kerio on a old mac mini and syncing with about 14 computers and 8 IOS devices, I have a feeling Kerio will pull through there as well.

We seem to have a few anomalies were data in 1 or 2 contacts are out of sync between AddressBook and IOS, not really sure though, maybe it was a user error, will be keeping a close eye on this...

UPDATE April 20:
I have found a possible cause for missing phone numbers in IOS.
It seems that phone numbers in Address Book do NOT sync to IOS if they have a label other then "Mobile" and "Work", so if you have a contact number with the label "iPhone" the number does not sync to your IOS device!

the logs get flooded with:
Error Log:
[20/Apr/2011 13:39:04] ASyncKeyDatabase.cpp: ActiveSyncKeyDatabase::StoreFolderInfo: FolderName is empty

Warning log:
[20/Apr/2011 13:44:22] ActiveSync: User lodewijk<_at_>xxx.nl is trying to open folder with GUID C839AE15-4FF7-4F77-8C35-92824109B99F on device Appl820513TXA4S. The folder cannot be opened or does not exist. Forcing device re-synchronization.

I also have a feeling this is draining my iPhone battery!
Opening a ticket...

UPDATE2 April 20:
So the case is Kerio can only sync certain phone number fields being:
Business
Home
Mobile
Assistant
Business Fax
Car
Company
Home Fax
Pager
Radio

So no iPhone, Main, Other etc that Address Book often uses.

Man.... how am I going to explain all these caveats to the client???

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2011 11:20]

•  
uptimjeff

Thanks for the notes...

I'm struggling wit similar issues that make deploying (Mac OS / iOS / KC Webmail) confusing to say the least.
Lack of documentation of these peculiarities doesn't help.

I've thought about starting a Mac/iOS/Kerio wiki to collect these notes... might do it...

Jeff

•  
lodewijk

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

Will keeping a wiki up-to-date be feasible? the state of things seem to change with almost every other Apple and Kerio update.

-lo
  •  
spape

You can see the groups from Address Book on the iOS device, if you use CardDAV accounts on the iPhone. The only problem is, that you can't create working cardDAV accounts from the iPhone GUI. Just create them using the iPhone configuration utility. I have about 130 iOS users on two Kerio servers using that setup and it works.

Create a profile with the following data to access contacts of a user:
CardDAV Server: FQDN of your Kerio server
Port: 8443 (for SSL)
Principal URL: https :// (kerio server name) /carddav/users/(domain name)/(user name)

Positive side effect: No disappearing numbers when using custom labels on phone numbers!
  •  
spape

Sorry, for the spaces in the principal URL, but the server won't let me insert a properly formatted URL before having posted at least 5 messages on the forum.
  •  
lodewijk

Now thats what I call a golden tip!
You do have a little typo in the port number, it should be 8843 (it sets this by default anyway)

for reference i'll post the principal URL again, without spaces, and also for the public contacts aka the GAL

https://KERIO.SERVER.COM/carddav/users/DOMAINNAME.COM/USERNAME
https://KERIO.SERVER.COM/carddav/users/DOMAINNAME.COM/.public

Spape, thank you so much!!!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2011 11:01]

•  
lodewijk

7.2....time to try and see what happens now...
  •  
ordway9841

With iOS 4.3.5 you can add a CardDAV account that connects up fine with Kerio.
  •  
pchernoff

But is there a way to setup a CardDAV account that will work with the Public Contacts folder without the iPhone configuration utility?
  •  
pchernoff

I got the configuration utility and it seems simple to use. BUT I created 2 CardDAV setups in configuration, one for the individual person's private account and the other for the public contacts. But it won't install, I think because I am using 2 accounts with the same username. I got around it by using a 2nd account to get the public names. Is this how it is supposed to work?
  •  
tonyswu

Yes, you can't have two CardDAV accounts with the same user name on iPhone.
Previous Topic: Cant access emails using pop 3
Next Topic: Sorting eMails @ Users & "unknown" Folder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 20:22:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00518 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.