Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Splitting a domain off
  •  
j.a.duke

Send a private message to this user
I'm about to split off one of the domains on my master Kerio server to a completely independent Kerio install.

I was planning to clone the current configuration, delete the unneeded domains and copy just the store directories I need over to the new store location.

Any suggestions to this plan? Any drawbacks?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
brauner

Hi,

I am about to do the same.

I notice that you didn't get any reply.

Well, any suggestions?

-Roei
  •  
j.a.duke

Roei:

The approach the I outlined in my original message works.

It isn't super elegant, but it does work.

Two things to keep in mind-there will be some downtime and you need to update MX records in advance of the move so that no new mail flows into the server after you've done the split.

It went pretty well, being done over a weekend. Had a small problem with the original hard drive to which I copied the email data wasn't readable on the new server. Never figured out why, but the second copy of the data worked like a charm.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
tonyswu

If you have a spare domain sitting around doing nothing, you can use it to minimize down time. DNS propagation takes time, so it's important to make sure mail delivered during this period is not lost. Let's say you have a tempdomain.com available, you could configure that on the new Kerio server as an alias to the domain you are splitting off. And on the original server, you would then configure each user to forward emails to user<_at_>tempdomain.com. Therefore, during propagation time email sent to the old server will be forwarded to the new server. Of course, if you have hundreds of users, this may not be feasible.

You could also use domain forwarding, but you'll have to remove all users from the domain first.
Previous Topic: Sending and Recieving Emails From Outside (external)
Next Topic: MS Outlook Mac SP2 ignores Reply-To header with Connect Exchange account
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 23:30:19 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.