Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Lan performance after instaling KWF
  •  
kityo

Send a private message to this user
Hello !

After I installed Kerio WinRoute Firewall 5.1.10 on a local Windows box I noticed very low lan performance.

Slackware FTP --- 100Mbit --- KWF --- 100Mbit --- Lan behind KWF

and the best FTP performance I got between Slack FTP
(server) and computers behind KWF was ~900Kb/sec.

I decided to do some real world transfer rate testing between the various boxes on my LAN and KWF. I found the following average transfer rates:

1) KWF not installed - ~ 10 Megabytes/s
2) KWF installed but disabled via the context menu - ~ 5-6 Megabytes/s
3) KWF installed, enabled, trafic rules with protocol inspector - ~ 0.9 Megabytes/s
4) KWF installed, enabled, trafic rules without protocol inspector - ~ 2,5 Megabytes /s

Some specs on the box with KWF:

Windows 2k SP4 with all critical hotfixes
ASUS TUSL2C - PIII Tualatin, 2x 10/100 Mbit IBM Ether Jet PCI (on Intel chipset)80 GB Western Digital Special Edition (ATA/100 + 8 meg cache)

Any ideas why KWF performs at 100Mbit LAN as it would be 10Mbit?

K.
  •  
kityo

•  
wiper

got the same problem, lousy performance in local transfer Sad my problem is that al cpu is used up and i guess KWF take alot of cpu to check all packets... and i dont even use protocol inspector. Even tho the KWF takes all cpu... if i shut down firewall the transfer go up by 200% in speed

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2004 16:18]

•  
VreebieZ

Same problem here. I'm glad somebody mentioned about it.

I got weird problem though. Some machine transfer OK. But several others got a very bad performance. At first, I thought the problem comes from my Switch (collisions / etc).

Does the problems really comes from Protocol Inspector?
  •  
kityo

I've solved the problem by uninstalling KWF. Instead of it I've used Wingate. Now , everything works fine. Although, I had wanted to buy KWF but considering bad technical support and mediocre efficiency Evil or Very Mad , I've chosen Wingate.

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

kityo wrote on Sun, 06 June 2004 15:28

I've solved the problem by uninstalling KWF. Instead of it I've used Wingate. Now , everything works fine. Although, I had wanted to buy KWF but considering bad technical support and mediocre efficiency Evil or Very Mad , I've chosen Wingate.

This forum isn't intended to provide technical support.
We are providing e-mail and phone support. More info at http://www.kerio.com/support.html.

Poor performance can be caused by conflict with other installed software or your CPU in server isn't powerful enough.
  •  
kityo

I don't want to criticize you, but if pIII Tualatin is not enough CPU to handle a gate and a firewall then in my opinion means mediocre efficiency of KWF. Regarding to installed software. On the computer was only KWF without any additional programs in background. I also took another tests on my laptop (Centrino 1.7, 400MB ram, gigabit ethernet broadcom, windows XP) and the result was exaclty the same...

[Updated on: Sun, 13 June 2004 13:24]

Previous Topic: MSN wont connect
Next Topic: 2nd internet connection routing question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 13:34:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00432 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.