Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Spam Assassin DB after MailServer move  () 1 Vote
  •  
phcranston

Send a private message to this user
When moving a server from to CentOS from Mac OS a few days ago, I used the KMSRecover method.

Do I need to delete the Spam Assassin database (/Store/SpamAssassin/Bayes)?

Kerio's kBase article #257 specifies doing this if using Method 1 (the manual move) but not if using Method 2.

I did not delete the Spam Assassin database when we moved the server. While the server is still marking a lot of email as SPAM some users are reporting a much higher than normal amount of spam coming through to their inboxes.

What effect will deleting the Spam Assassin database have on spam filtering?
  •  
j.a.duke

phcranston wrote on Mon, 02 May 2011 12:48
When moving a server from to CentOS from Mac OS a few days ago, I used the KMSRecover method.

Do I need to delete the Spam Assassin database (/Store/SpamAssassin/Bayes)?

Kerio's kBase article #257 specifies doing this if using Method 1 (the manual move) but not if using Method 2.

I did not delete the Spam Assassin database when we moved the server. While the server is still marking a lot of email as SPAM some users are reporting a much higher than normal amount of spam coming through to their inboxes.

What effect will deleting the Spam Assassin database have on spam filtering?

I do know that if you change Architecture (ie PPC to Intel or Intel to PPC) on Mac OS you need to delete the SpamAssassin files.

Here's the official word. So, yes, you do need to delete the database files.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
phcranston

Thanks. I'm seeing the same behavior on my server. I'm going to delete the Spam Assassin database. I wish Kerio would update their KB article to be more clear.
  •  
TorW

Generic installations of SpamAssassin has an export/import function for bayesian databases. It's done via the sa-learn command line utility, but for some reason this useful (and standard) tool is missing from Kerio's install.
  •  
phcranston

That would be a very nice tool to have. Seems a shame to trash a database that's been learning for 2+ years
  •  
phcranston

I stopped Kerio last night, deleted the files in /opt/kerio/mailserver/store/spamassassin/bayes and then restarted Kerio.

Kerio is still not "learning" any messages and I'm getting this error message in the debug log.

[03/May/2011 07:29:50][1016] {spamassassin} Perl_stderr: bayes: bayes db version 0 is not able to be used, aborting! at /opt/kerio/mailserver/plugins/spamassassin/site/lib/Mail/Spa mAssassin/BayesStore/DBM.pm line 200.

Any suggestions?
  •  
TorW

That error message is actually a warning, and it simply means SpamAssassin can't find any version info in the database. No wonders since it's probably empty.

SpamAssassin won't put anything in the database until you manually feed it spam by moving mail to your Junk Mail folder or SA autolearns a mail message as spam (watch the SA debug output). The latter is sort of a chicken and egg problem since the Bayesian classifier haven't kicked in yet. It needs to learn 200 messages of each type first.

So you're left with moving spams manually into any Junk Mail folder since the aforementioned sa-learn program is missing from Kerio's SA installation.
Previous Topic: KOFF corrupt non-ascii attachment file name
Next Topic: Imap4_prune and Communigate Pro
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 04:39:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.