Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iCal event appearing 1 hour later than it should
  •  
j.turley

Send a private message to this user
I have been sent a meeting invite by an exchange user and it appears 1 hour later than it should in iCal and webmail... I'm guessing there is an issue with its format or a bug in Kerio.

Any idea guys?

Jason
  •  
TorW

It's not a bug in Kerio, but more likely a configuration error on either the Exchange server or in your Kerio setup. It's not uncommon to set the server clock to whatever time it actually is, and then skip the time zone or DST information altogether. This will send mails and invitations off with the wrong time offset, after which the receiver dutifully parses it and displays it with the wrong time.

The computers are only doing what you tell them ...
  •  
schwifty

There are in fact several known issues with Kerio and time zones.

One is that Kerio does not correctly decode TNEF attachments and can thus misinterpret the time zone info in invitations arriving from Exchange. The current workaround for this is to disable TNEF decoding on the server and use plugins or utilities on the client to do this instead.

This and many other calendaring issues, such as reconciling the different ways that different clients interpret CalDAV time zone information, are slated to be resolved or mitigated in 7.2.

Even in the latest beta there is a known issue right in the release notes about how editing events with an iPhone can destroy the time zone info. So there are in fact issues that are exclusively Kerio's fault, other issues that Kerio has at minimum the responsibility of building workarounds for, and then issues that are entirely out of Kerio's control.
  •  
j.turley

The clock and time zone on my server is set correctly so its not that... and we regularly receive events from the outside without issue.

I've checked what other external invitees are getting and from what they tell me everything is fine their end so I'm guessing its not the originators exchange set-up.

I've taken a look at the message source and can see the right date and time etc. but again it still appears wrong webmail or iCal - actually there doesn't seem to be any time zoe data in the event so maybe its that?

SUMMARY:SPS VE Review
[b]DTSTART:20110512T093000Z[/b]
ATTENDEE;CN=Matthew.Rooney@macegroup.com;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION:mailto:Matthew.Rooney<_at_>macegroup.com
ATTENDEE;CN=david.wraight@echarris.com;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION:mailto:david.wraight<_at_>echarris.com
ATTENDEE;CN=j.eades@nicholashare.co.uk;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION:mailto:j.eades<_at_>nicholashare.co.uk
ATTENDEE;CN=HRM@stpaulsschool.org.uk;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION:mailto:HRM<_at_>stpaulsschool.org.uk
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:BUSY
BEGIN:VALARM
X-WR-ALARMUID:FE9C7193-9E79-4561-8667-DF68593A2622
TRIGGER:-PT1H
ATTACH;VALUE=URI:Basso
ACTION:AUDIO
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

Jason
  •  
TorW

That iCalendar object appears to be mangled. It's a.o. missing the ORGANIZER, DTSTART and DTEND objects. I assume the formatting codes (bold/unbold) are your work. Is this pulled directly from the message source of the meeting request you received?
  •  
rickm

I have also had this issue today. The meeting file seems to be correct with a GMT time of 9.00 - 9.30 but this shows in iCal and webmail as UTC and 10.00 - 10.30.

METHOD:REQUEST
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:GMT
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:19501029T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
TZOFFSETTO:+0000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMINUTE=0;BYHOUR=2;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:19500326T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMINUTE=0;BYHOUR=2;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART;TZID="GMT":20110513T090000
DTEND;TZID="GMT":20110513T093000
TRANSP:OPAQUE
DTSTAMP:20110513T075728Z
SEQUENCE:2
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Check the event in iCal. If it shows 'floating' as a timezone, then iCal does not understand the event correctly and assumes a local timezone instead of the timezone defined in the event.
iCal is quite stupid at this point - it does not assume that the event can be created in another client and therefore very often it cannot parse valid events from other clients. Kerio Connect is doing a lot of workaround because of this iCal 'feature'. However, there still can be some interoperability problems. If you hit any, please report it to our technical support.
  •  
rickm

In iCal the time zone is UTC.

The time is wrong in webmail too so it can't just be an iCal issue.
  •  
TorW

rickm wrote on Fri, 13 May 2011 12:12
I have also had this issue today. The meeting file seems to be correct with a GMT time of 9.00 - 9.30 but this shows in iCal and webmail as UTC and 10.00 - 10.30.

Why is that not correct?
Right now (14-May-2011) nobody has the time zone GMT. If you're e.g. in the UK, the correct time zone now is GMT+1 (also known as BST).
  •  
rickm

TorW wrote on Sat, 14 May 2011 01:33
rickm wrote on Fri, 13 May 2011 12:12

Why is that not correct?
Right now (14-May-2011) nobody has the time zone GMT. If you're e.g. in the UK, the correct time zone now is GMT+1 (also known as BST).

There are also entries in there for TZOFFSET and DAYLIGHT which I think may have be relevant to Britsh Summer Time. I don't know the relevance of all the entries I was hoping someone may be able to decode them.

I would be quite happy for this to be proved as not a Kerio issue but at the moment I have a large corporate client sending me invites that appear an hour out in webmail and iCal.

In their own systems they appear ok so they blame us. To go back to them I need something concrete to back up my argument.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

rickm wrote on Mon, 16 May 2011 13:42

I would be quite happy for this to be proved as not a Kerio issue but at the moment I have a large corporate client sending me invites that appear an hour out in webmail and iCal.

Me too. To prove this I would like to ask you to send an email example to our technical support. We need to know the complete request body as well as the client used by the sender.
Thank you.
  •  
rickm

I have an open ticket with support. You have a PM

Thanks

Rick

•  
GlennK

I managed a workaround for this in iCal by unchecking "Turn on time zone support."
  •  
j.turley

I have also opened a support ticket for my original message here in the UK... looking forward to the findings!

Jason
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Actually, this is very easy to debug. It's clearly a problem of iCal (and interoperability problem with Lotus Notes). If you open the .ics file directly in the iCal (so Kerio is not involved at all), it will shift the event.
Looking to the system log at Mac (which is recommended for hunting any problem on Mac!) reveals that:

Quote:

5/16/11 4:05:21 PM iCal[24220] VTIMEZONE does not match System Time Zone (GMT) for 20100513T090000 to 20120513T090000: (
"interval: 2010-10-31 01:00:00 +0000, offset: 0",
"interval: 2011-03-27 03:00:00 +0100, offset: 3600",
"interval: 2011-10-30 01:00:00 +0000, offset: 0",
"interval: 2012-03-25 03:00:00 +0100, offset: 3600"
) != (
"interval: 2001-01-01 00:00:00 +0000, offset: 0"
)

BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:GMT
BEGIN:STANDARD
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
DTSTART:19501029T020000
TZOFFSETTO:+0000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=10;BYDAY=-1SU
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
DTSTART:19500326T020000
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=3;BYDAY=-1SU
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE

Lotus Notes is using "GMT" name for a timezone (GMT has never used DST (summer time)). iCal is trying to match own (system) definition of GMT timezone to the one in the event. Since it does not match, it uses UTC (as it equals to GMT).

We may think of some clever way how to "fix" this wrong timezone definition and workaround the bug in iCal. But the correct way is to report it to Apple so they change (fix) the Apple iCal to correctly handle custom time zones.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:25]

Previous Topic: Size of Public Folders in Mail.app Offline Storage
Next Topic: Citrix XenDesktop
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Aug 21 12:09:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00598 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.