Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect problems with large mailstores (Kerio Connect problems with large mailstores)
  •  
adwsys

Send a private message to this user
We have several users (5 out of about 40) who have mailstores in the 7-8 GB region & it would seem that Kerio Connect can't handle that very well. All of these users have problems of one sort or another, but the main issues are:

- Speed, obviously, but it doesn't impact all the users in the same way. Users with a small number of large folders have more speed issues that users with a large number of small folders.

- Messages disappearing at random; for example a user can come in in the morning & log on & there will be say 20 new email messages in their inbox. Ten minutes later some, all, or none of these may have disappeared, for no apparrent reason. The two users that are affected by this have large mailboxes (7-8GB) but also a very large number of folders & subfolders (>500), so the problem may be related to this.

- Deleted items not being deleted; One of these users cleared their Deleted Items box of several thousand items in Outlook & then when he next logged on KOC re-synced the deleted items with the server & put them all back again! I've no definite idea why this would happen but suspect that it might be related to indexing?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on what might be causing these problems, especially the disappearing mail, and don't suggest clearing out the mailstores as that's not really an option :^)

Andrew

Andrew
  •  
srobson

I have a few users running 10+GB stores without any problems, except for perhaps a slight slowdown when they access a folder with 20,000+ messages in it. My Kerio Connect server is running on very modest hardware (PowerMac G4 dual processor with mirrored SATA RAID for storage).

Can you post a little more about your server and client hardware and software configurations? What version of Kerio, running on what hardware under what OS? What hardware and software are your clients accessing the Kerio Connect server with?
  •  
adwsys

The server is a Dell Poweredge 1800, Dual 3 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, SCSI RAID-5, running Windows Server 2003 & the 2nd latest version of Kerio Connect. The clients are all Windows XP SP3, on a mix of reasonable spec hardware & using KOFF to connect to the mail server. The server data drive is low on available disk space, about 5% free, and it is struggling so I'm planning on replacing it sometime over the next couple of months, but I don't think that's the cause of the problems I outlined.

Andrew
  •  
srobson

Only 5% free disk space on a RAID will definitely slow you down. Time to upgrade those drives ASAP.

While you're upgrading to new drives, try setting them up as RAID-10 instead of RAID-5 if at all possible, as that is the consensus choice for better disk performance with Kerio Connect.
  •  
Lyle M

adwsys wrote on Sat, 14 May 2011 04:26
The clients are all Windows XP SP3, on a mix of reasonable spec hardware & using KOFF to connect to the mail server.

Do you mean, "Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition)," or are you really using KOFF (which is very different)?
  •  
scottwilkins

adwsys wrote on Sat, 14 May 2011 10:26
The server is a Dell Poweredge 1800, Dual 3 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, SCSI RAID-5, running Windows Server 2003 & the 2nd latest version of Kerio Connect.

Reconfigure the RAID 5 for a RAID 0+1. You'll notice an amazing increase in speed. RAID 5 is unfortunately dog slow, especially in the multiple small file access methods of Kerio. A RAID 0+1 will give you both speed, more than a single drive, and reliability with the mirror.
  •  
catoxpress

What is the difference between KOFF and Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition)

Really, is there a difference? Explain please.
  •  
Lyle M

catoxpress wrote on Tue, 24 May 2011 10:15
What is the difference between KOFF and Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition)

Really, is there a difference? Explain please.

Ignore me. In my failing recollection, KOFF was that contact & calendar only sync that was discontinued some years back.

Anyway, here the Kerio doc on KOC vs. KOFF:

http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/koffdeploy/en/#sect-kockoff
  •  
adwsys

Thanks all for the comments.
The server will be replaced in a couple of months, so when I spec the new one I'll make sure to get RAID 10 for the data array. I've cleaned up the server a bit now & have archived a lot of old mail messages & the performance has improved a little, so it should do until the new one is installed. I also recreated all the index files in the problem folders & this seems to have helped with the other issues, but I don't know if it'll prove to be a permanent fix.

Andrew
  •  
Kedar

lylehm wrote on Tue, 24 May 2011 16:43

Ignore me. In my failing recollection, KOFF was that contact & calendar only sync that was discontinued some years back.

It was SyncML-based "Kerio Synchronization Plugin" for Microsoft Outlook, for contact and calendar synchronization with IMAP accounts in Microsoft Outlook. It was discontinued in Kerio Connect 6.5.2
http://manuals.kerio.com/kms/6.5/en/v3/chap-syncml.html
  •  
warrens

We are running on OS X and using mail.app on OS X as a client and experienced a similar performance problem except ours was wide spread among most all users. We ran through support a number of times and migrated ourselves all the way up to the most modern RAID we had as well as the RAID 5 to 0 +1 move. We eventually noticed that Exchange accounts would sync every message (file) in an account every day to every user. We still do not have a final word on this being a Kerio behavior, an OS level behavior or client behavior but when we switch all our users to IMAP accounts the every day downloading of all messages to all clients ceased and staff could use their mail before mid afternoon. Support was unaware of this behavior and never got back to us on our original request for an explanation of it.

Observe file level reads and writes for different account types, you could be seeing the same sort mass touching of every file that we did.

-Warren
  •  
bigmountain

Right click on the account in the folder list, go to properties and select the folder synchronization tab. Make sure you have the options to download entire message and include all subfolders is checked. This is the only way to truly make use of the caching which will really speed things up.

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
Previous Topic: Your session has expired. You must login again
Next Topic: Forbid mail sending for Everyone
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 20:19:02 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00490 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.