Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Recover some e-mail (over 1,000 messages mysteriously disappeared, how do I recover them)
  •  
pchernoff

Send a private message to this user
One user had over 2,000 e-mails disappear from her Inbox today. We have the date range and I have found her Inbox folder in the backups from early this morning. We don't know why they disappeared and they are not in her trash mailbox and we don't see any clues in the Kerio logs.

Is there a way to import these emails either into Kerio Connect or directly into Mail.app (Snow Leopard)? She could open each one by hand and then move to a folder in a local mail folder, but that would be tedious, though I could try writing an AppleScript as a last resort. I was wondering if there was anything simper.
  •  
miless

It's possible the user's Inbox index file is bad. You can find out by going to this location on the mailserver:

(mailstore)/mail/(domain)/(username)/INBOX/#msgs

If you see the correct amount of messages that should be present in that directory, that means you have a bad index that's causing Mail.app to not be able to see some messages. (If the messages are gone there as well, the steps below won't help.)

To fix that, stop Kerio Connect on the mailserver and rename

(mailstore)/mail/(domain)/(username)/INBOX/index.fld
to
(mailstore)/mail/(domain)/(username)/INBOX/index.bad

Then start Kerio Connect. The next time the user access their Inbox, the index will rebuild and all messages will (ideally) be viewable. We've seen this happen a number of times (generally when Kerio Connect was improperly restarted) and this fix has always taken care of it.
  •  
miless

You can find the official instructions in the Knowledge Base - the article is called "How do I re-index a user's folder if it has become corrupt?"

(I'd post a link, but apparently I'm not yet allowed to do that since I'm a new forum user.)
  •  
Lyle M

The .eml files that exist on the kerio server in the store directory should be easily opened by Mail.app and Entourage.
I just dragged several of those .eml files to a folder in Entourage, and they all appeared as normal E-mails.

However, note that the "Received" date/time will be "now." The "Sent" date/time will be drawn from the .eml files' headers. It's also possible that Entourage will choke if too many items are dragged in at once.

Hopefully, it was just a bad index. Although not recommended, I have had instances where I could rename the index.fld file and still have it re-build without stopping Kerio. Do so at your own risk.

Good luck,
Lyle
  •  
pchernoff

Thanks everyone. It looks a damaged index and I'll be rebuilding it tonight.
Previous Topic: feature request?
Next Topic: Converting Kerio Local Accounts to Apple Open directory
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 00:03:23 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00434 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.