Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect over WAN (Any best practices out there for implementing Kerio mailserver over a WAN?)
  •  
GazzaBot

Send a private message to this user
Hi All,

Is there any literature out there with some guidlines on implementing Kerio Connect in an organization over a WAN link?

ie.
1. Should we have a mail server per branch / site?
2. Is there a replication option for messages to be present on each server (if u have a server on all sites)
3. Is VPN reliable enough keep remote sites updating mail etc.
etc..

Any ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated

many thanks

GazBot
  •  
j.a.duke

GazzaBot wrote on Tue, 31 May 2011 10:50
Hi All,

Is there any literature out there with some guidlines on implementing Kerio Connect in an organization over a WAN link?

ie.
1. Should we have a mail server per branch / site?
2. Is there a replication option for messages to be present on each server (if u have a server on all sites)
3. Is VPN reliable enough keep remote sites updating mail etc.
etc..

Any ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated

many thanks

GazBot

I'd like to know a bit more about your environment before posting anything resembling a recommendation.

How many people do you have in each branch office?

Do you require VPN?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
subnet

Hi Gazzabot,

We need a little more information :
-Is cost an issue
-Do you have a good Wan Connection
-How many users will be going through your Wan Link
-Size of the mailstore
-Is your connection reliable
-Do you have a VPN server

These are most the questions that should be answered to come to a appropiate solution

Just a thought (lets suppose that) :
If I had a good Wan Link, and a VPN Server, I would just host Kerio at one Site, and connect all other clients via VPN. After a succesfull connection it should be possible to install and configure your clients(BRANCH OFFICE)

•  
stupot1397

We use a WAN link with a VPN connecting the mail server to 3 other sites.

The connection is not of the best quality due to our location (approximately 1mbit up and down) but it works well enough, especially since KOFF. Before that it was almost unusable.

The only catch for us is if one of the remote sites sends a large attachment. We limit the traffic rate so it takes a bit longer, but it doesnt clog up the vpn.

On the whole it works very well considering the modest connectivity. We have 65 users.

Thanks,

Stuart

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2011 17:09]

•  
scottwilkins

This type of connectivity is exactly why Kerio produced "KOFF". Only one server needed. I've used it with remote offices for years and it's fantastic. Initial sync on large mailboxes can be a pain sometimes, but day to day operation is smooth as butter. My last Kerio setup was with an office with 5 remotes all over broadband, but not really that fast. All with VPN tunnels setup. My new setup with be with a central office on cable broadband, and 45 individual stores, all also on broadband, but some of them extremely slow. No VPN, yet but soon. So far it's working perfectly.
  •  
GazzaBot

Thanks for the many and quick responses.

I do not have much detail regarding this client. They are looking to us to design a WAN infrastructure for them and so at this stage do not have WAN links in place and I am still in the dark as to user numbers etc.

We will be implementing a Kerio Control server so VPN is the way we are thinking but I am now going to read up on the Distributed Domain scenario.

Thanks again, I will probably be back once I have read up a bit and have more detail about the client.
Previous Topic: Size of Incoming Attachments
Next Topic: INTERNAL EMAILS WHEN INTERNET IS DOWN
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:49:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.