Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » 7.2 and Oulook 2011
  •  
kthomas

Send a private message to this user
7.2.3 helped our CPU usage as well, haven't been brave enough to add any of our "problem" delegates back to Outlook 2011 yet.

Tried adding a small test calendar, and immediately saw rolling errors in the log like this:
EwsOperation.cpp: EWS request SubscribeOperation: error occurred; code 110, description: Error resolving DistinguishedFolderId: "msgfolderroot" in mailbox

Removing the delegation stops the errors. Interestingly, I can use Outlook's "Open Calendar" toolbar button to access this shared calendar without generating errors.

Have you checked your three user calendars for dupes and size?
Large calendars (over 5k items) seem to be problematic.

•  
aj08

kthomas wrote on Fri, 02 September 2011 00:21

Have you checked your three user calendars for dupes and size?
Large calendars (over 5k items) seem to be problematic.

I don't have any calendars with over 5k items but there were duplication issues yet again. I've removed write access for users still running Entourage and cleaned up the duplicated events. So far so good but I need more time to see if it really does anything. Entourage can't go away soon enough.
  •  
aj08

It's definitely related to bad calendar events. Cleaning out the dupes fixes the problem for a while but even if I make all delegates readers I'm still getting bad events showing back up on the problem calendars. I've tried deleting the original .eml file along with any newly created ones but it looks like the owner of the calendar's Entourage is placing the bad event back on the server after each removal. Perhaps I need to remove write access for everyone and then go to the owner's calendar and empty the calendar cache to finally get rid of the damn bad event?

In the bad calendar event that I've been working with, the subject line is empty. Is this what's causing Outlook to hang, I'm not sure but I wanted to put that out there. I feel like I'm getting closer to getting Outlook 2011 to finally work properly so I would love to hear if others are seeing the same thing I am.
  •  
stothers

i ended up (for simplicity's sake) recreating the user and starting him fresh, leaving behind all old calendar objects.

However, i will note that his problematic account did included many duplicate entries with blank subject line. I too suspect they were the issue, but i couldn't get them cleared out. I ran out of time and had to "just get it working".
  •  
kthomas

I'm seeing the same thing. In my experience these duplicating blank subject calendar events keep coming back, even after carefully clearing all local Entourage calendar caches and deduping the server folder.
The bad events are from invitations that are exceptions to recurring events, and seem to be generated by Entourage.

Not sure if these are causing Outlook problems either, may need to remove Entourage from the equation to find out.
  •  
schwifty

We've seen tons of those blank events. You have to delete them all AND empty the client caches or they will continue to divide like amoeba. We believe that they originate from Entourage 2008 when it is confronted by external Exchange invitations that are exceptions to recurring events.

We have fully sanitized calendars that these problem events have returned to repeatedly, basically whenever a new exception arrives from an outside Exchange environment, even after fully de-duping the calendars (including full purging of client caches, removal of the events that spawned the duplicates in the first place, and these zombie events with blank summaries).

We've submitted loads of example ics and emls to Kerio support. So far they have recommended steps to address the existing dupes, such as removing the exceptions and manually recreating them (not exactly a viable deployment-wide solution, especially when new invitations come in then break all the time!), but they have not actually acknowledged that a problem with exceptions to recurring events still exists.

We also believe that this duplicate spawning is one source of performance problems for the server; invariably the most problematic calendars in terms of duplication rise to the top of the "Opened Folders" charts and stay there as various clients struggle to cope with the data.

Here's a piece of a script we use to help eliminate our problem events, hope it helps. This is only meant as an example for you to modify and use at your own risk.

#!/bin/sh

STORE=/Volumes/store/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/store/mail
DOMAIN=domain.com
EMLS=$STORE/$DOMAIN/$MAILUSER/Calendar/\#msgs

SAVEIFS=$IFS
IFS=$(echo "\n\b")
for EML in $( ls -1 "$EMLS" | grep .eml ); do

SUMMARY=`cat $EMLS/$EML | grep SUMMARY`
#	DESCRIPTION=`cat $EMLS/$EML | grep DESCRIPTION`

if [ ! "$SUMMARY" ]; then
#	if [ ! "$SUMMARY" ] && [ ! "$DESCRIPTION" ]; then
		echo "$EML"
		rm "$EMLS/$EML"
	fi

done
IFS=$SAVEIFS

mv -f "$STORE"/"$DOMAIN"/$MAILUSER/Calendar/index.fld "$STORE"/"$DOMAIN"/$MAILUSER/Calendar/index.bad
  •  
aj08

Even once you remove Entourage and clean up the calendars you'll likely still see a beach ball/hang for a few seconds any time a delegate updates their calendar. Adding the Outlook 2011 identity to the spotlight exclusions helps a bit and prevents mds and mdworker from going crazy but that also means you can't search for anything in Outlook.

I'm thinking that now the problem events are gone, the other issue is with Outlook 2011 and why the database daemon grinds things to a halt when a new event is downloaded. I'm going to try and call Microsoft support so wish me luck.
  •  
aj08

I contacted Microsoft support but they say that I need to pay to get help with this kind of an issue as it is not covered by the "free" support that comes with Office 2011.

It also looks like the calendar must have a certain number of existing events before the beachball will show up after downloading a new event.

If anyone has a contract with Microsoft or is willing to spend the money to get the solution I would love you for it.
  •  
aj08

Kerio is having problems reproducing the spinning beachball/hang. If you're seeing this would you please call their support and submit a calendar or calendars that are causing Outlook to slow down?
Previous Topic: Can KC 7.1.4 run on Mac OS X Lion Server
Next Topic: Calendar blank in Entourage
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 10:17:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.