Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Koff connector issues over satellite
  •  
dexterb

Send a private message to this user
I have a laptop user whose only internet access at home is via satellite (Hughes Net). Kerio Offline connector works fine during their 2am-7am window dubbed "Download Zone". Outside those hours KOFF is spotty if it works at all, and locks up Outlook in the process.

Before I contact Hughesnet for support I figured I would pose the question in this forum. This appears to be a Hughes Net issue with how KOFF communicates because the problem disappears from 2am-7am. Does anybody know what info I could express to Hughes Net to resolve this?

Koff version 7.1.4-2985
  •  
macparamedic

HughesNet throttles the prime-time throughput after the account exceeds a threshold of use.

You can login to the local Satellite modem via web browser to see if you have exceeded the allowed use.

Look for the upstream router address and connect with a web browser.

There is an indicator on the modem's web interface telling you if you have exceeded the allowance.

If you need a login and password for the modem, HughesNet should be able to tell you how that works.

iirc, one can also purchase more primetime bandwidth using a token that HughesNet sells.

If you are not in excess of the allowed bandwidth but are still having bad performance, it might just be latency/wonkiness in the Hughes system.

-Larry
  •  
dexterb

Right, but in this case the user is at about 2% usage - so the account isn't getting throttled down due to excessive use.

I also agree with latency issues, after all it is satellite. However, Kerio Offline connector works *perfectly* up until 7am. Thereafter it's hit or miss.

So...anybody have thoughts on how Koff communicates that may appear to be abusive of a "Fair Access Policy"? Is there lots of chatter between the client and server?
  •  
EdRoxter

AFAIK it's just https traffic. The KOFF emulates kind of a MAPI interface towards Outlook and synchronizes mails via an ActiveSync-like protocol with the server. Since it implements a push method, there shouldn't be much chatter, just some keep-alive packages and of course new e-mails being pushed to the client at arrival.
  •  
BudDurland

On start-up, doesn't OutLook kick off some sort of "Make sure I'm really synchronized" process that basically does a quick comparison of the messages in the local store vs what's on the server?

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
dexterb

Yes, any offline changes are synchronized at startup.

We've been observing its behavior over the past week and KOFF hasn't experienced the problem I described earlier. It seems to function normally, which points back to the satellite internet connection.

Certainly is frustrating.
Previous Topic: Features
Next Topic: Folder not appearing in Entourage 2008
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 14:07:53 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00383 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.