Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook on Windows performance (Looking to migrate from Exchange, but want to understand Outlook use before committing)
  •  
Brip

Send a private message to this user
Hi

We are looking to move from Exchange 2003 on Small Business Server 2003 to Kerio.

Our potential supplier is recommending using a Mac Mini server to run Kerio Connect.

We have 27 users, which expects to expand upto 40 over next 12 months.
Current mailbox is approx 1GB per user, however we have upto 10 users with sizes upto 5GB.
Also user a lot of Public Folders to share project emails, which currently is about 25GB.

Mix of Windows Outlook 2003/7 users (about 12 to 15), then Mac users (currently Entourage, but happy to move to Mail/iCAl if go with Kerio). Also various iPhone/Android/webmail users.

Question 1:
Is this Mac Mini happy to cope with users above (it won't be used for any other services, only Kerio)?

Question 2:
Does anyone have any performance issues with Outlook & KOFF? I've read a couple of posts about it sometimes being very slow?

Any advice would be great, as so far Kerio does look it would be a great replacement for Exchange (which would be a big relief to me!)

Thanks in advance,
Brip
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Brip wrote on Wed, 15 June 2011 19:26
Question 1:
Is this Mac Mini happy to cope with users above (it won't be used for any other services, only Kerio)?

Mac Mini server (Core2Duo 2.66, 4GB RAM) runs 80 users with 3GB mailboxes without problems.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
abirkner

Answer Question1:
Should work and should not be the problem at all. We have similar configuration on windows-machines at that worked always fine.

Answer Question2:
If you have large inboxes, large calendars, large public folder... it is always slow. it doesn't matter having Kerio or Exchange.

Yes, KOFF is sometimes slow and sometimes the users are not understanding outlook and doing everything to get the system down Wink

Have fun to migrate

•  
Brip

Thanks for the responses guys, that helps put our mind at rest about running on a Mac Mini.

However I'm still concerned about KOFF 'sometimes slow'. At the moment we're using SBS/Exchange 2003 on a preety old IBM server (32-bit, 2BG RAM, the exchange database for both personal and public folder mailboxes is about 60GB). We don't have any problem with Windows/Outlook users from a speed point of view.
This includes a couple of users mailboxes at about 3GB with one person with 10,000+ emails in his inbox.

So could we expect to see any performance issues with with KOFF? Last thing I need is to migrate then some users to start complaining that Outlook is now running slowly.
What exactly is 'slow' with KOFF? Or is it down to number of emails in a folder?

Thanks again.
  •  
rrisdal

I would be careful to make sure you test it first to see if the performance is acceptable. I am experiencing major performance issues now with Kerio since upgrading to 7.2/7.2 Patch 1. Mac Mini server with only 17 user accounts, mailboxes under 3GB, combination of Outlook 2011, Entourage and ActiveSync connections. Server is running at 100% CPU and slowing to a crawl at various points during the workday to the point the users can't log in. Kerio support is so far unable to help with this issue, has only suggested that I disable HTTPS and use only HTTP unencrypted connections which is not an option at all. Never had issues until latest version of Kerio Connect which is required for Mac Outlook 2011 clients so I can't roll back to an older version.
  •  
Brip

Thanks for the heads up, rrisdal.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Could it only be a Mac Outlook 2011 issue??

The Mac users in our office currently use Entourage, not yet Outlook 2011, and anyway I was thinking of moving them to Apple Mail & iCal, because Kerio will allow using of Public Folders through Mail.

Previous Topic: Concurrent Connections Per User
Next Topic: Kerberos and Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 06:16:37 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.