Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Hardware opinions
  •  
brandonh75

Send a private message to this user
Hello!

After playing with Kerio Connect I've decided that this is what I want to go with to replace our current hMailServer system. My next step is convincing those above me that Kerio Connect will be able to handle our usage without the problems that our current system gives us.

Our current email server hardware appears to meet the recommended configuration for 100+ users. We will have close to 200 IMAP accounts on 2x 3.2GHz Pentium D, 4GB RAM, 1+ TB RAID 5 w/SATA HDDs, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2.

After a couple years we still haven't figured out exactly what is causing our intermittent hMailServer trouble, but we are 99% sure it is NOT the hardware because we moved it to another server at one point and experienced the same issues.

I would, however, like to try to get us newer/better server hardware to run Kerio. I have also read somewhere that RAID 5 may not be the best for Kerio due to a lot of small file operations.

So I guess my question is, should I push for new hardware (which I'm sure wouldn't hurt either way), or would we be OK with the hardware that we have?

Thanks!
  •  
mwd

I would replace that hardware ASAP! Seriously Pentium 4 with 200 users? Is that even a server?

I would recommend a server with lots of ram and 10k SAS Raid 10 drives. Raid 5 is bad for Kerio. The small files that need to be written are often very slow on raid 5.
  •  
winkelman

CPU power does not really seem to be an issue with Kerio Connect, neither is RAM. Kerio Connect is VERY keen on a fast storage-subsystem though! Basically that's all that matters to get good Kerio performance. In that respect: RAID5 is bad (slow write performance due to calculating and having to write parity info to all disks with every write) and SATA disks are bad (slow concurrent ops performance). General advice is at least RAID1 (or even RAID10 if you can afford it) and the fastest SCSI/SAS disks you can afford. Preferable 15.000 RPM.

Doesn't mean you current setup will not do, but if it doesn't: your disk subsystem is the problem!

And because changing any system is always difficult for users (most of them resist any change, or will at least emphasize everything bad about a new system Wink) it may be recommendable to already make sure Connect is running quickly from the start. If not, you'll get all the blame! So I'd recommend you upgrade your storage subsystem ...

(At some point a couple of years ago I went from SATA 7.200 RPM to SAS 15.000 RPM with the rest of the server staying the same and Kerio became at least 4 times as responsive. At least.)

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2011 12:34]

•  
brandonh75

Thanks for the input guys!

It looks like we will be getting some better hardware (with 15k SAS drives).

They do have me running some tests on a similar system to what we are using now (but with SCSI instead of SATA drives). We want to come up with some numbers to "prove" the improvement to the owners before spending their money, so I am running some things on this test system with its current RAID 5. Then I will switch it to RAID 10 and do the same things. We know the new system we are looking at will scream compared to what we have, but as long as we can show a little improvement with the tests then we should be good. Very Happy
  •  
winkelman

Seem a good decision to get faster drives. this forum is littered with posts that all come to the same conclusion: fast drives, CPU/RAM doesn't matter...

Perhaps difficult to simulate heavy load (100+ users logged in), but I'm sure you will benefit!

Good luck Smile
Previous Topic: Cannot delete "Junk E-mail" folder
Next Topic: Does 7.2.1 require KOFF update?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 05:06:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00435 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.