Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » What is your software upgrade policy or practice?
  •  
jamesf

Send a private message to this user
A new version of software is released (most recently Mac Lion) and very shortly someone is upset because the new release has broken a piece of critical software that hinders them doing their job. The first question that comes to my mind is "what business reason necessitated upgrading so quickly?"

This seems to be a theme even while software is still in beta (especially MS Office apps). What is the driving force that causes business critical systems to have to be be upgraded as soon as a new release of software hits the market?

Products such as Kerio are then lambasted by users for not supporting a piece of software or hardware that has been recently released (sometimes less than a week).

What kinds of policies or practices does your company have about how soon to upgrade software after a major release?
  •  
winkelman

I think is is pretty risky to 'immediately' upgrade production software once new releases come out. Certainly for critical things like OS's, office suites, etc. Beside the fact that companies like Kerio have to be given some time to test and adapt their software [like it or not], often the updated OS's, office suites, etc. themselves have some initial problems that I do not want to face or find out about.

So my 'policy' is: let other people catch the bugs and then I'll follow. Doesn't necessarily mean I only upgrade after a 'SP1', but does mean I wait at least a couple of weeks to see if some critical bugs are found. By others! Smile Seems only logical to me! I do not understand companies upgrading immediately at all. Feels to me they are not making a rational decision there.

Of course, if you are just hosting or 'reselling' Kerio solutions and have no control over what your clients are doing, then your only target to shout at becomes Kerio. So I do understand that. My humble opinion is nevertheless it's not Kerio's fault they not always have everything ready or working flawlessly from day 0 of a new OS, office suite, etc. release.
  •  
jamesf

Great point about hosting or reselling and I hope those are the people who are posting complaints within a week or two after the release of non-Kerio products.
Previous Topic: LDAP error
Next Topic: FTP Problem - Block Sending Proccess
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 08:07:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00404 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.