Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect 7.2.2 Birthdays not showing without Sync Connector
  •  
eugenius

Send a private message to this user
hi everyone,

we just updated our Kerio Connect to version 7.2.2 (debian server).

As far as i can tell, everything works fine, but we stumbled over a problem with birthdays.

We tried to use Adressbook and iCal (both OS X 10.6 and 10.7) without the Sync Connector - which works fine, except birthdays are not showing.

I even created a test user via webmail, set a birthday, but its not showing - not even in the online-calender.
They are however showing in mobile devices like an iPhone and iPad.

The only "workaround" seems to be, to install the Sync Connector again.

How comes mobile devices can show birthday dates from contacts, but clients i tested wont (without Sync Connector)? Is it a bug?

Any suggestions? Rebuilding indexes or something?

Thank you very much for your help!
  •  
pal

Dear eugenius!

If you use CardDAV (Addressbook) and CalDAV (iCal) on Snow Leopard you will miss the birthdays on iCal because 10.6 iCal doesn't support it. This was/is a problem from Apple and iCal, please mind that 10.6 was the first Apple Mac OS with CardDAV support therefor it lacks some features in combination with other Apps like iCal.

In iOS Brithdays is supported trough the "Exchange" or ActiveSync accounts, dunno how long but it works a long time now.

The new iCal on Lion finally supports Birthdays on CardDAV accounts like it works in iOS.

sincerely
pal
  •  
eugenius

thank you very much ...wait_for_it... pal Smile

if you are right - i absolutely can live with it.

I still wonder why birthdays won't show in our webmail calender.
Ans this is a testcontact i created in webmail!
Do we need to add an extra all-day event for birthdays to view them?

And, i just looked it up, in OS X 10.6.8 iCal has an option to "show birthday calender"... but if this is caused by iCal in 10.6, i'm still fine with it.

I will investigate what went wrong with our 10.7. iCal CardDAV testaccount and share our results.

thanks again!
  •  
pal

glad to help eugenius!

afaik: Kerio Connect Webmail doesn't support addressbook Birthdays in calendar, would be a nice feature.

The "show birthday calendar" in 10.6 only works with local Addressbook.app entries, not with CardDAV entries. That is the reason why it works with the Kerio Sync Connector, it create local Addressbook entries and sync them to the server. CardDAV is a direct Server connection and doesn't create "local" Addressbook.app entries.

For the 10.7 issue, check if you have ticked the "show birthday entries" in iCal.app. If it is already activated i would recommend to ditch the Addressbook.app CardDAV account and iCal.app CalDAV account. Close all apps and redownload the automatic configurations scripts from your Kerio Connect 7.2.2 Server! Start with the Addressbook configuration. Open the Addressbook.app and verify your entries are there and the birthdays are filled in and close it. Afterwards do the same for iCal and it should work.

I have started with a clean 10.7 Lion install (after the Kerio Connect 7.2.2 update on my debian server) and had no problems with the configuration of Mail/Addressbook/iCal and finally Birthdays on my Desktop...
  •  
eugenius

and again - pal - thanks for your reply.

I will recreate the 10.7 Address Book & iCal account as you said and report if this did the trick!

On a sidenote to the Kerio staff: Thanks for this release, i updated from 7.1.4 to 7.2.2 and it seems like mobile sync is so much faster and more reliable than before! Very well done!

thanks pal!
  •  
eugenius

okay then...

we did as pal said:

• we deleted all Kerio accounts in OS X 10.7 Addressbook and iCal
  • then we logged in webmail and downloaded both automatic configuration files for Adressbook and iCal
  • then we installed Adressbook first and testet it - WORKED! It seems to be important to check, that no old accounts are present.
  • then we installed iCal - checked birthdays - aaaand...NOTHING!
  • heres why! As pal said, birthdays you add in webmail are synced to your ActiveSync devices. But they won't show in CardDAV / CalDAV clients! Using Kerio Sync Connector will still show them, on the other hand, when we add a birthday in our newly working Addressbook, they show everywhere!
  • So my solution is this: If you use OS X 10.7 and CardDAV / CalDAV clients, don't enter your contacts in webmail. Use your client or a mobile device.
  • Another way that still workes either way is the Kerio Sync Connector, but the less extra baggage we install our clients - the better, right?!

This solves my problem - cudos to pal!
Previous Topic: Mail POP delivery problems
Next Topic: How to repair mail queue issue?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 01:32:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00482 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.