Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » SIP phones, Softphones, and NAT
  •  
Eriq Neale

Send a private message to this user
I've run into an interesting scenario here and it's causing a bit of grief. Here's the setup:

We have our SIP trunk through 8x8. They require that the PBX be directly on the 'net, not behind a NAT. So in our Operator setup, we have two NICs - one with a public IP, one with an internal private IP. Our Cisco phones in the office are connecting to Operator using the "internal" NIC (i.e., the private IP, 192.168.199.x) and that's been working fine. However, in trying to set up a softphone on my MacBook to be able to make and receive calls from off-site, I can only make calls but cannot receive them.

Turns out I have to set the "Extension is behind NAT" option on the extension before my softphone can receive inbound calls. But when I do that, the Cisco phone in the office loses its connection. When I disable the "Extension is behind NAT" option on the extension, the Cisco phone immediately re-registers, but my softphone no longer rings for inbound calls. I can place outbound calls from the softphone without issue in either configuration, but I have to toggle the NAT settings for the extension depending on whether I want to use my Cisco phone in the office or my softphone from home.

When we initially discovered that we had to set Operator to have a public IP and not exist behind a firewall to connect with 8x8, I attempted to have the Cisco phones in the office register with Operator via the public IP (i.e., I changed the DHCP settings for the TFTP server to point to the public IP for Operator instead of the internal IP). I never could get the Cisco phones to download the updated configuration from Operator, so the phones were always looking to the internal IP address we'd originally set for Operator to use for the SIP gateway. Yes, I could probably go through and manually configure the phones to point to Operator on the public IP, but that sorta defeats the entire purpose of using the registration script.

So, I'm in a bit of a quandary here. I can go through and toggle the NAT settings on the extension depending on whether I'm going to be in the office using the Cisco or working from home and using the softphone on my Mac. Doable, since it's just me that's going to be doing this for the moment, but still a pain.

I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug in the code, but it certainly isn't a very user-friendly setup. What configuration options have I overlooking in trying to get this to work the way I think it should be working?

-Eriq
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi Eriq,

We have also discovered that some Cisco phones do not work with the NAT setting. As a quick solution, you can create a second extension for your softphone. We will consider the option to control NAT support for individual instances of the "multi-extension".

Vladimir
  •  
Eriq Neale

Creating a second extension for my softphone doesn't really help a whole lot. Doing that means I have to reconfigure all of our autoattendant scripts as well as finding some way to ensure that the alternate extensions would ring when someone dials the advertised extension directly. This is more than a bit of an annoyance as this is feature we were planning to use heavily, hence our move to get it into production as quickly as we could.

Going to have to rethink this one. This isn't going to be an easy fix apparently...

-Eriq
Previous Topic: call disconnect
Next Topic: Connecting ZoIPer for iPhone to Operator
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 02:33:13 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.