Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Removing Archived Folders
  •  
Bryan at Deneb

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

We are using the email archive feature in KC 7.2 and this works great. At the end of each month the messages in the archive folder are moved to an SQL database for reference and the contents of the Kerio archive folder are burned to DVDs.

The final step in the monthly archive process is to delete the previous months archive folder from the KC server. I login to the admin account and completely delete the folder. The archive folder typically contains 100,000 to 130,000 messages. Once the delete command has been issued using webmail, the KC server does not respond well and takes 3 or 4 hours to start working correctly again. I guess a lot of overhead is caused by deleting these messages but I never see much of a change to the CPU utilization on the server machine.

Rather than having KC server delete the previous months archive folder, can I manually delete the archive folder at the operating system level without causing problems for KC?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan
  •  
it@leonardsexpress.com

Hi Bryan, I have been using Kerio for 4+ years now and that is exactly how I delete the Archive folders. Space is not infinite and we can only keep so much archived data on the server. Deleting the folder from within the store at the OS level has had NO impact on my Kerio in a production environment. Please take this "as-is" as each implementation is different. I just thought I would offer my 2 cents and say that it has been done, and is being done monthly. I typically keep around 2-3 months worth of Archived data on my server, we archive every day. Usually every month i'll go in an delete roughly 1 months worth at a time with no issue. I do this same thing for the logs.

Thanks,
Chris

IT Admin
  •  
Bryan at Deneb

Chris,

Thank you for the posting. I couldn't think of any reason why this wouldn't work but I was concerned about messing up an index in the archive directory by removing the old archive folders manually.

Have a good weekend.

Bryan
  •  
BeeOnLion

Hi Guys

I was just wondering how you go about searching the archive folder for a specific email. I would like to be able to add the archive folder into admin webmail & search that way but if this is not possible what would the best alternative be

Thanks a million
Previous Topic: Support For Outlook 2013
Next Topic: Retrieving compressed archive folders
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 00:36:27 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00425 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.