Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail.app Configuration (Exchange or Exchange IMAP?)
  •  
C. Ross

Send a private message to this user
What is the best practice as they both appear to work the same, using Exchange or Exchange IMAP when setting up Kerio with the Mail.app client?

Thank you
  •  
ICT and Me

mail.app is used by what ?
Exchange (sync)
Exchange IMAP = real IMAP

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
C. Ross

Sorry I don't understand your question. Mail.app can use both Exchange and Exchange IMAP.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2011 05:46]

•  
miless

Based on my own experiences, I'd actually recommend neither - (non-Exchange) IMAP has given me the fewest problems. Check out http://forums.kerio.com/t/19783/performance-issues-with-exch ange-imap-in-apple-mail/ if you're interested.
  •  
C. Ross

Thanks for the reply, good to know and a bit discouraging seeing how we are just about to convert over to Kerio. Also a bit surprised Kerio doesn't have a best practice for this.
  •  
tonyswu

The best practice for Mac is to use IMAP on Mail, CardDAV on Address Book, and CalDAV on iCal. Kerio is not a true "exchange" server, so if you try to configure Mail to access Kerio using Exchange, it will not work.
  •  
C. Ross

It works for other people I know. I know entire organizations (40+ people) that are setup using Exchange in Mail.app for Kerio and they are not aware of any issues. Also wouldn't this be needed to remotely wipe the iPhone via ActiveSync? I assume it would have to be setup using the Exchange option?
  •  
miless

C. Ross, I believe tonyswu is referring specifically to configuration of Mac OS apps. For iOS, setting up apps using Exchange works just fine. Unfortunately, Exchange according to iOS and Exchange according to Mac OS are two different things in terms of how they interact with Kerio.

For Mail.app, you may be thinking of Exchange IMAP, which is also distinct from Exchange.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2011 23:18]

•  
tonyswu

miless wrote on Thu, 18 August 2011 14:17
C. Ross, I believe tonyswu is referring specifically to configuration of Mac OS apps. For iOS, setting up apps using Exchange works just fine. Unfortunately, Exchange according to iOS and Exchange according to Mac OS are two different things in terms of how they interact with Kerio.

For Mail.app, you may be thinking of Exchange IMAP, which is also distinct from Exchange.

You are correct, although it really should be called ActiveSync for iOS. I've always wondered about this, by the way, about why Apple couldn't just use ActiveSync for Mac OS, too. License issue, perhaps?
Previous Topic: Add photo to my profile
Next Topic: Relay server problem/question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 06:49:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.