Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Call Parking (Help us improve Operator)
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
Hello Everyone!

Recently, we have been thinking about implementing Call Parking and we need your help.

I'm pretty sure some of you had used Call Parking in the past and have an idea how it should work.

I've seen several different designs of Call Parking and I am not exactly sure which approach would suit you the best. To be more precise, I personally don't like the way its currently implemented in Asterisk.

Thus, the question is pretty simple: How would you like to use Call Parking?

I look forward to reading some great ideas.

Filip
  •  
2the Maxx Technology

Hi Filip,

A user friendly way to use callpark is as follows:
- Pickup the call
- Put it on hold and dial the park extension
- The system gives you an extension number by voice
- Hangup
- Pickup the other phone and dial the extension given by the system

It would be useful to implement a few parameters such as:
- time to wait for picking up the other phone before falling back to f.e. the main number
- fall back to which extension(s)

Hope you can somethiong with this.

Cheers,
Ron
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Dear Ron

thank you for your feedback. The solution that you described is the one which is supported by asterisk. However, after some research I found that there are some drawbacks:
- It's a bit annoying to be forced to listen to a voice and remember a number.
- You will probably always be told the same extension number and thus you won't even bother to listen to it.

There is another approach to this, which is a bit more simple:
- Pickup the call
- Forward it to a parking slot (e.g. 701)
- Pickup the other phone and dial the same number (e.g. 701)

There would be a defined amount of parking slots, for example:
1. Prefix + your extension.
- Parking slot number would be formed by a prefix and your own extension (e.g. extension 10 would have a parking slot of 710).
- Using the correct parking slot number would be either a company policy or would be forced by Operator.

2. A pool of extensions (e.g. 700-720)
- It would be up to the company/users to put in place some rules.

I, personally, don't find the Asterisk way user-friendly and prefer one of the other solutions. What do you think? After all it is going to be you, users, who will use it.
  •  
2the Maxx Technology

Filip,

Users will be indeed getting tired of hearing the PBX telling them the extension. And if this differs all the time, the chance to dial a wrong number for call pickup is increasing.

I can find myself in your idea to define a pool of parking extensions where a prefix will be used to get a call out of the parking queue.

Is it an idea to create a selectable option "call park" under "extensions - general"? When this is checked, Operator uses the predefined prefix + the extension number for call park per extension. Or maybe better, per user. The user can see his own park extension (when checked) on his personal page. In case of call park per user, the option must be implemented in "users" ofcourse Wink

As far as I can see is this a very transparent and user friendly method. It let no space for incorrect interpreted extensions by users.

Speak to you later,
Ron

•  
nhoague

Hello,

I believe Call Park is a necessity! I think your ideas of using extension plus a park extension would probably be best, especially if user could define their own park. That way it'd be easy to tell someone else, "hey pick up 710". The only problem I can think of is that we use 3 digit extensions. So my park would be 10410.

The other potential dilemma is the default voicemail dial extension is 7. So what about a default of 5 for park, and let the user choose a park extension. If it is already in use, Operator would say so? So I could park a call on 51, and if someone else tries it would tell them 51 is in use? Or 5 + extension? So 5101 would be my park? Thats not too hard to remember.
  •  
vkeven

The correct way and friendly way to do this is when phone can park a call by only pushing a button and others phone can pickup the calls because their monitored the park orbit.
  •  
grazman

if call park can be used by parking the call to the destination parking slot, the question becomes:

allow more than one call to occupy the same slot (fifo)? Whether to provide MOH or customer MOH to certain parking slots (support or sales calls, promotional messages).

call timeouts (not fallback destinations) to send the call back to the transferror, which should be seetable in the admin interface.

connecting to the call park by dialing the destination target (<bridge>).

as far as the UA is concerned, polycom can be customzied with EFK for one or two button park/unpark.

the bigger concerne is with analog and tdm gateway devices and what the call pickup code is and how they interpret is so it gets sent in the correct direction.
  •  
dtpartners

This should be very simple and easy:

1) Treat a call park space (shared park) the same as a user extension.

2) when creating a new extension ask: user or shared park

3) if shared park, give the following options
a) orbit (shared park) number
b) Hold music option
c) Ring Back options (to who, and timers, etc)

In this method, its treated exactly like a user extension, except when someone is transferred there, they just automatically get hold music, and anyone can pick up that extension. Also, since its a user extension, BLF should work, and you can define "shared parks" for BLF's.

Also, you can have a dial code, that will automatically put the caller into the first defined shared parking spot, and announce what spot it is to the user. This gives you the best of both worlds!

•  
ICT and Me

Hi, I don't know if there are people here beta testers. But we beta testers are testing v2.0 with call-parking. It's looking good. So wait, it will come if there is no problems in the meanwhile.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
fishtech

Just upgraded to 2.0.0 - Thanks for the parking.

Not a big deal, but I happened to notice parking is not not listed as an added feature on this page: http://www.kerio.com/operator/history

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

Thanks, this latest changelog is just the diff between the final version and RC1. Call parking was mentioned in a previous beta changelog.

Vladimir
  •  
blswjames

I personally prefer the predesignated parking slots approach. User can answer a call, put on hold and enter the park slot # (i.e. 101). Another phone in the building can pick up and simply dial 101 to re-connect to the call. I hope this is still in the works, because it is a very common and asked about feature. Thanks!
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

It's already in there, see the PBX services screen.
  •  
blswjames

In that case, then I appear to be having difficulty getting it to work. Perhaps it's because I'm trying to use it internally? Should I not still be able to park a call from another local extension?

Based on the documentation and the discussion here, the process I am expecting to work is thus:
1) receive call
2) press "Hold" button on phone
3) dial 101 (assuming the call parking prefix is set to 10x)
4) hang up
5) go to another phone
6) pick up and dial 101
7) call rejoined

Am I just not understanding correctly?
nhoague

You want to transfer the call to 101. For example, here we do this. Imagine call comes into the conference room and I want to park it and pick it up in my office.

1) Warm transfer (not blind!) the call to ext *5104 (*5 is the service we have defined in our operator, I think it is default btw)
2) Operator will say "extension 104"
3) Then I complete the transfer by hitting the transfer button again
4) Then I run back to my office
5) Pick up my phone and then dial #5104 to pick it up!

Works great!
Previous Topic: Help us name a feature
Next Topic: How I can redirect calls from trunk to trunk
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 02:04:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00531 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.