Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Network Browsing over Kerio VPN
  •  
coco

Send a private message to this user
Being entirely new to VPNs, can someone please advise me how to browse a network (for drive and printer shares, for instance) from a Kerio VPN client?

What I have is this:

1. A small workgroup-only (i.e, no domain) LAN, with mixed Win2K and WinXP workstations.

2. WinRoute 6.0 installed on a WinXP Pro machine acting as an internet gateway, connected to the net via 3Mb broadband.

3. WinRoute is configured as a VPN server (as per WinRoute 6.0 help file), with traffic rules that (a) permit incoming VPN connections from the broadband NIC to the firewall host, and (b) VPN clients to access the local net.

4. VPN clients running Win2K and the Kerio VPN Client.

Now, I can successfully complete a VPN connection from a client to the WinRoute host, but as yet I can do nothing useful with it.

How do I configure the LAN's gateway (running WinRoute) and the VPN clients so that the clients can see the shared disk and printer resources on the LAN? Step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
NNiM

...same for me.

I can't browse the LAN, I have some problems to configure Winroute FW with DNS/Subnet (seems to be a config problem)...

Can someone help?

My network:

PC1:Win2003srv LAN -> 192.168.1.1 (PDC) -> DNS, DHCP, FTP, IIS

PC2:Win2003srv LAN -> 192.168.1.2
(KERIO FW) WAN -> 217.X.X.X

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 17:16]

•  
coco

OK, I have this sort of working now. This is what I did:

1. Made sure the 'hosts' file on the KWF server machine contained entries for each of the servers that offer shares, then copied the 'hosts' file to each of the VPN clients. This was helpfully suggested by Jeff Wadlow of Kerio.

As a result, named shares (such as \\server\c) can be accessed directly on the clients by entering them into Explorer's address bar. However...

...if you have the folder tree visible in Explorer it will try to expand the tree under "My Network Places" and this causes a repeating "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" error message, which prevents Explorer from being usable. The only way out is then to kill the Explorer process via the Task Manager. Ouch.

2. Now I added the IPX protocol to both the LAN (containing the KWF server) and the VPN clients. This eliminated the error messages and made things usable.

Browsing via "My Network Places" on the clients doesn't give an error, but neither does it show the available servers (until you browse to them explicitly with UNC path names).

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
coco

I'm disappointed to have to report that, a while after my last post above, the IPX protocol installation has not after all solved the "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" error.

It did work for a single session, but I must conclude that some other factor was involved then. Back to the drawing board...

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
Previous Topic: Tunneling TCP based protocols through Web proxy servers
Next Topic: Outgoing encrypted connections stall out (KWF5)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 13:03:39 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00373 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.