Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Public Contacts/Address book questions
  •  
jonelli

Send a private message to this user
This is my first exploration into this, and I've tried to search and read what I could, and I'm not quite understand how or what I can and can't do.

Can I use Kerio to create a company-wide (internal) public contacts/address book containing both local user addresses and external email addresses?

And, if not, what is the best way to do that using Outlook clients?
  •  
jonelli

And on that note... When I view the addresses in the Global Address List, it lists everyone with all of their aliases.

Is there a way to manage them? Some users I only want their main address to show in the GAL, not all their aliases.

Lastly, I don't like that I can't create groups without external email addresses. I've found lots of posts on this, I think this feature should be added: Internal-only email groups that show up on the GAL.
  •  
jwreding

What about checking the restriction to send/receive within own domain only for those groups? That would effectively make it an internal-only email address.

And to keep multiple unique addresses for the same person from showing, add the email address in the Aliases section, rather than just adding as an additional email address directly on the user. Make sense?

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2011 23:14]

•  
jonelli

Okay, the Aliases part makes sense. I wondered why there were two places for that. What else is different about adding email addresses to a user versus adding Aliases?

And about the restrict to within own domain, I don't see how that helps me. From what I've read, that just seems to set permissions for any user in that group not to be able to send email out of the domain. Sounds useless to me.

I saw one post that was clever and would work, but it eats up user licences, and the owner wouldn't be happy with that:
http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/13947/65142/#msg_65142
QUOTED:
1. Set up your group, make sure you have all the members you want in a group. This can be native Kerio group or a group in your directory service, doesn't matter. (but remember directory users can only be part of directory groups and native users can only be part of native groups)

2. Assign an email address to your group. This should NOT be the email address you want everyone to use when emailing to this group. Best to pick something completely random.

3. Now set up a new native Kerio user account in your users section. Use whatever login name and password you wish. If you plan to publish these details to your GAL then you want accurate information in here. Assign this user account the email address you want everyone to use to send email to the group your are setting up. For example if I'm setting up the "everyone" group at my company I'd want to make sure this user's email address is "everyone<_a.t_>domain.com". In the forwarding section make sure that this user forwards to the email address that you set up for your group (the random one we created in step 2). On the last page of the setup make sure to check the box for "can send/receive from own domain only". This will prevent this email address from being abused by the outside world.

4. It will be possible for crafty folks to try to email your group directly using the random email address we set up in step 2. The beauty of this solution is that if you find out that someone has managed to get their hands on this address all you have to do is change it to something else completely random and update the forwarding user appropriately
Previous Topic: kerio email queue keep filling
Next Topic: Logout
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 18:14:51 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00390 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.