Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Off-site Backup of large Kerio install
  •  
support@agencytech.com

Send a private message to this user
We have a recent install of Kerio with a client that has ~40gb of mail data.

If we use the weekly full backup in Kerio igenerateses about 35gb of ZIP files, dailincrementsls are fairly small...<500mb a week.

We are having an issue trying to make use of thoff-sitesite backup solution to save these fioff-sitesite, simply due to limited bandwidth. it takes over a week to get the full backup. SO they never get a full backup stooff-sitesite.

We have been told by general support that it is not supported to do a full backup of \program files\kerio and then incrementalnetals using the backup program.

Has anyone run into this senerio and found a viable solution?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2011 22:39]

•  
TorW

Off-site backups live across the net is not a viable solution unless someone coughs up money for a really fat internet pipe. You can't have your cake and eat it too and all that. Our mail store is several hundred gigabytes, and is stored off-site on weekly backuptapes. Daily incrementals are stored on-site. It works for us.

We set up our backup solution by asking ourselves one simple question: "What do we need backups for?". The long answer to that became the non-tech foundation for our backup system.
  •  
gbrown100

One of my clients has a smaller 20GB of mail data. I simply shut down Connect at midnight as part of the backup job, replicate any changes in the mailstore offsite directly and then turn Connect back on. Whilst Kerio doesn't support it I honestly can't see the problem with this approach as long as Connect is shut down.

If you can't afford much downtime then you could replicate the entire store to local storage by shutting down Connect, replicate changes to local, start up Connect and then replicate the duplicate store files offsite.

This particular client had a backup system in place using external HD's before, in 6 months they never swapped the drives once. This is where cloud type solutions can be really beneficial. I did actually put in a request for Kerio to consider having an officially supported rsync client in their products so that offsite backups could be one step closer to reality.

•  
GlennK

CrashPlan PROe will do this no problem, although I found I had to increase the default memory allocation on the client app because of the number of files (in the millions).
  •  
Bryan at Deneb

Glenn,

Do you use CrashPlan Pro on the live mail store directories? We have CrashPlan as well, but I never thought it would be able to keep up with all the changes to the store directory.

No problems?

Thanks,

Bryan
  •  
GlennK

Yes on the live store. It works although it takes constant tweaking and it is not always up to date. Occasionally I find its fallen behind a bit and I bump it past the local backup (its doing both local and remote) and it catches up. As the data store gets larger and larger it becomes more of a battle. We're about to add server #2 so this is only going to get worse and might end up to be unrealistic but much of this comes down to up/down internet speed.
  •  
uptimjeff

I backup several kerio servers using CrashPlan.
It keeps up just fine..

Go with their 'CrashPlan Pro' product which will backup to their cloud and a directly attached drive for $7.50/month (unlimited storage)

•  
GlennK

Except CrashPlan Pro (the Cloud version) has no seeding, no way to get data shipped back to you (last I checked). Using an offsite you can get your hands on in an emergency would be a wise choice.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2011 05:43]

•  
Tuxis

Just use Rsync or something like that.
If you copy your store (or whole Kerio dir) to an extern location, and next time only the differences, you have a backup. On the backup site you can then store different days or compress your backups.
  •  
uptimjeff

Good points Glenn...

In my case, I run my own offsite server.... (CP Pro Enterprise)
I was thinking more of cost and ease of setup for others, but you are right, better to have control/access to your offsite archive.

•  
skeates

I've done this granted onsite only, but the Kerio store update on an hourly basis so the amount of data it copies across to servers is rather small.

I basically rsynced the entire /usr/local/kerio folder onto another server (i'm running on os x). I setup rsa keys on the machines to get rid of the authentication requirements and have a script that runs on the hour that syncs the whole folder across to the second machine.

Any e-mail received, moved or deleted with in the main server is replicated into the backup server and any changes made to the config adding new users groups etc is updated as well.

It works pretty flawlessly and i'm only ever an hour out on the e-mail if the primary server goes down.
  •  
gbrown100

@skeates Are you shutting Kerio down for this? I argued with a tech before on this where they were totally insistent that this approach with the Connect service running could cause corruption but I couldn't get anything specific.
  •  
skeates

@gbrown100 no i'm not. I've never had any problem with corruption and I run this on a very heavy mail server around 90 users with a mail store of around 600gb.

Theres no database in kerio it's all files and index's so nothing to worry about. Worst case reindex the whole mail server (which I have a script to do) and then your back to working again.

I'm guessing Kerio would not say this is a good idea, but I've been doing it for over a year now and not had any problems with it.
  •  
pushtech

+1 to all grumbles on the exceptionally useless Kerio Backup procedure. Like a number of you, I have also been fed the stock line about "corruption" by Kerio support.

I use a delta'ed online backup service and these are not cheap per Gb but do allow RSync-like diffs and prevent three day mail uploads for 12Gb of mail. I've chosen to do this on the live Kerio mail store on the assumption that I can probably afford to lose a few emails that are locked or in queues.

My ideal solution is one that Exchange solved in 2007 - local continuous replication. In fact, I'd just settle for a timed replication of all data to a zip or straight folder with a name of my choosing. Local storage is, after all, dirt cheap. With that, we could all rsync or diff away to our heart's content without risking "corruption".
clan

Shouldn't it be possible to use the archive function for this? Storing mail in an archive folder or sending to a remote mail archiver sounds a lot like what you are looking for
Previous Topic: 7.2 - How can I trace received email?
Next Topic: Move Mail Store
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 23:33:14 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00539 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.