Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Fax converter (Analog to Digital to KO to PRI)
  •  
PC_MAC

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I am in the process of hooking up KO with about 80 users and 6 different fax lines. We are using the KO box and a PRI line from AT&T. We also purchased the Digium TE122 card to use with the PRI line.

I have one big issue and that is the fax lines. They run a analog signal and I expect something has to convert that to digital before it hits KO box. After it hits the KO box, I assume it and the digium card will take care of the rest.

What type of conversion piece is needed? Any suggestions on a brand or type of converter/adapter? Also, do I need to reserve a user spot or extension for them within KO to operate properly: to both send and receive data?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2011 21:47]

•  
ICT and Me

ATA from Linksys can be used for this.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10029/index.html
It will respond like a normal phone so yes they need a extension.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

I would add that G.711 should be your preferred codec. Codecs with high compression ratios are not fax-friendly.

Vladimir
  •  
PC_MAC

Thanks so much guys...I'll purchase some soon and give it try.

Adam
  •  
PC_MAC

Would a Cisco SPA8000 (8 Port IP Telephony Gateway) serve the same purpose with the ability of using One adapter for 4 fax lines?

I did read in there literature that only 4 fax lines could be used at once, even though there is 8 ports. Is this because the G.711 codec is "heavy" codec?

Also, have you ever seen clients use these adapters for their older analog phones too? I don't want to use it for that but I was just curious if it's possible? The Cisco data sheet reports that 8 analog phones can simultaneously use it through a PBX system for VoIP purposes. This would make Kerio an even better sell if older analog phones can be used with their system Wink

Thanks,
Adam
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

G.711 is a "light" codec, in fact the lightest there is. Maybe they refer to fax over T.38 when talking about the limit of 4 faxes?

We have seen clients using the PAP2T adapter which can be used for 2 analog phones and it works quite well.

•  
PC_MAC

Hi,

So I purchased some PAP2 Adapters and I am not able to get them to connect with Kerio. I continue to get a Authentication error.

I have gotten them logged with Auto provisioning and assigned them an extension. I have then put in this same extension on the PAP2 web interface along with KO's dns name. I have attached a screenshot for some of the setting's I have used. What settings on the PAP2 need to be enable to get it to work?

Thanks,
Adam

•  
ICT and Me

Hi PC_MAC,

I think the problem is that you do two different things.
When provioning the PAP2T make sure that the PAP2T looks to the Operator when it gets it's IP from DHCP or make sure that the TFTP IP is the Operator system.
What we have done at our office:
Within our DHCP we reserve IP on MAC address from PAP2T
At this reservation we give TFTP (66) setting the IP/DNS of the Operator.
When rebooting/switch on the PAP2T it get's all needed information from Operator. ** DON'T change any thing by your self **
The problem is you have given the Operator the setting provision.
The authication will be 5501p1.
Not the 5501 you give in the PAP2T, because you must not do any thing when using provioning. If provioning isn't working change Operator from proviosing the PAP2T to manual.

I hope this clears up your problem.

• Attachment: PAP2T.png
    (Size: 21.95KB, Downloaded 437 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2011 03:09]

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi PC_MAC!

I'm afraid that we don't support any of these adapters in provisioning.

To make it work, please remove the adapters from the Phones screen, use the extension number as username and configure password on the Extensions screen. That should do the trick with authentication.

Cheers

Filip

PC_MAC wrote on Fri, 21 October 2011 07:32
Hi,

So I purchased some PAP2 Adapters and I am not able to get them to connect with Kerio. I continue to get a Authentication error.

I have gotten them logged with Auto provisioning and assigned them an extension. I have then put in this same extension on the PAP2 web interface along with KO's dns name. I have attached a screenshot for some of the setting's I have used. What settings on the PAP2 need to be enable to get it to work?

Thanks,
Adam

•  
ICT and Me

Dear Filip,
Operator supports PAP2T with provisioning. Look at Linksys Wink
I got the PAP2T with provisioning. works!

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Oups, my bad. Linksys PAP2T should work out of the box then.

Anyway, for other adapters I suggest configuring them manually.

Filip

ICT and Me wrote on Tue, 25 October 2011 05:28
Dear Filip,
Operator supports PAP2T with provisioning. Look at Linksys Wink
I got the PAP2T with provisioning. works!

•  
PC_MAC

This worked great. I had Auto config on and the machine was pulled into the provisioning inventory. I set the "user/ext" there.

Then the Major key is to unplug the device after configuring it in Kerio and plugging it back in for Kerio to recognize it and its IP and get everything set.

Thanks again guys,
Adam
Previous Topic: Specify Caller ID
Next Topic: Kerio Operator 1.1.2 released today
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 01:53:16 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00458 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.