Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Dropped calls
  •  
nhoague

Send a private message to this user
Hello.

We just installed Operator with 12 extensions. Seems every so often (very intermittently) outbound voice gets cut off.

This customer has a business class comcast, (20M/6M) internet so should be plenty of bandwidth.

I think I have all the services and ftp configured correctly. We are using QoS with 1M/1M.

Thoughts?

Here is a screenshot of the services.

•  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

You will need about 160 kb/s per call. Does the call end completely or is it choppy?

With most SIP providers, you do not need to map SIP and RTP to the local network. Sometimes yo might need to enable NAT support in Operator.

If you map SIP from any destination to Operator, you should use strong SIP passwords and use the built-in protection against password guessing. Do you do this to support mobile clients?
  •  
vomsupport

Check packet loss and latency..

We had a 10/50 with Comcast that continually dropped calls..

Only 4 extensions..

We moved it over to a 6 MB DSL and the dropped calls stopped...
  •  
nhoague

Can you tell me any other tools to check for loss and latency? I usually just use speedtest.net. We are using Nextiva as the SIP provider, and other sites have no problems. They have an online test tool and it always passes, even during times of dropped audio.

Thanks.
  •  
PDigital

We are also having the same exact issue. We have Comcast, Kerio 1.1.1 build 3918, updated Watchgaurd OS, and rebooted all networked devices. We use Bandwidth.com for SIP Trunk. I turned NAT on/off with no difference. When I call externally, the Kerio line can hear me, but I cannot hear them. Same issue vice versa. This issue is consistent. Also, when I call in from my cell phone, when the phone stops ringing it's supposed to go to voicemail, but I don't hear anything. But when I call from Google (internet phone) I do reach the voicemail. Weird right? We can call other extensions internally without any issues. The weird thing is, sometimes the internal line can successfully connect and establish a conversation on both ends. This however doesn't work all the time. When I restarted all the network devices again, I was able to make and receive calls successfully. After about 30 mins to an hour, this would fail, just like it is failing now. Any ideas?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

It would help if you could send us a packet dump showing a call that is OK and then a call with the uni-directional audio. If you manage to record these two packet dumps, send them directly to me at vtoncar at kerio dot com.

Vladimir
  •  
grazman

the pcap file will show you the timing between packets. In general though you will want to look at whether your firewall has the ability to prioritize and shape traffic according to the ports (or sip protocol depending on how advanced the firewall is).

Some firewalls graph the internet use AND the quality of the internet connection (latency to their gateway). Example: with pfsense it will monitor the gateway. Problem is the gateway is the modem next to the firewall, so there's no real world latency measurement. So we usually use something like a google dns server (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and have your firewall monitor and graph an alternate IP address as its gateway. This will help in a basic sense to draw a picture.

As for the bandwidth requirements, I find using the g711 codecs (most common), you need to allocate 83k of upload and download bandwidth per call.

Also, your watchgurad should have the sip application helper (sip proxy) turned off and the NAT ports configured like any firewall with asterisk behind it.
  •  
PDigital

No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 03 January 2012 22:25]

•  
grazman

seems your reply was modded. I joined the forum today. I have a great deal of experience in troubleshooting sip related issues, and a very great deal of experience with firewall configuration and prioritization as related to sip.

simply put, I though putting the information on general terms here on the forum is appropriate. seems the moderator of the forum thought your response was not appropriate, to which I would agree.
  •  
PDigital

I actually modded my response. I thought this was a ticket that Kerio was working on. I apologize. When I realized this was a forum, I removed it.

It seems the problem was due to the fact the Level 3 Communications switched from using asynchronous platform to a synchronous platform. Which is weird since I signed my client for Bandwidth.com. I assume they use more than 1 carrier, which is fine, but I was given no notice. Bandwidth.com switched us to point directly to them, and since then we haven't had any major issues with hearing both ends.

I believe part of the issue was the Firewall rules may have not been setup right. I hired a Firewall/WatchGuard tech and the issue was resolved around the same time, so it's hard to say which exactly resolved the issue.

Just last week we had another drop call (could not hear caller (outgoing from office). I restarted the Kerio Operator server (not Kerio product) and started to work fine. Does you know if I can setup a rule to restart the server automatically maybe once a week? Or maybe avoid having to restart at all?

Thanks.
  •  
grazman

well, bandwidth.com also switched to the sonus switching platform, which has a lot of compatibility issues overall, especially as it relates to dtmf handling.

I actually moved my customers away from bandwidth.com entirely. They do/did a lot of things properly, but they downsized and considerably weakened their compatibility and compliance issues over the last 18 months. In doing so we've seen outages as well as certain call scenarios which never would function properly anymore due to their platform changes.

Typically outbound nat on the firewall needs to be set to use full cone nat, which is probably what your firewall tech enabled while disbaling the sip proxy mechanism on the firewall. At the same time if the udp port the audio was destined for was being used by another application, a port conflict could trigger a one-way audio issue. Usualy this is avoidable by using a separate/static ip address for your sip server though. resetting the states on your firewall or with the provider (assuming there are no other active calls in progress) would be another way to test it to see if it could be repeated.
  •  
PDigital

Thanks grazman.

Our Kerio Operator is using a static IP (internal static). Hopefully the new SIP company will not have these issues. We are moving forward with VoicePulse. They seem to have more Kerio specific support, but I guess time will tell.

Can I consult you in the future possibly?
  •  
PDigital

Finally moved to VoicePulse, but Kerio Operator is failing to register. We use a WatchGuard XTM 21. Working ok before porting from Bandwidth. I have entered in the user/pass/phone in Call Routing. I have the firewall policy configured. I just replaced Bandwidths with VoicePulses host name. I can see that Kerio is not able to register, and this is the same on VoicePulses side. They see the box attempting to register, but it does not.

<_at_>jfk-primary.voicepulse.com\' timed out, trying again (Attempt #103)

I am almost certain it's because I don't have something setup properly in the firewall. Any ideas?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

It looks like the SIP responses from VoicePulse are being blocked. I would start with no special rules on the firewall. Our Voicepulse accounts work from behind NAT with no special firewall configuration.

Vladimir
Previous Topic: Incoming calls are muted
Next Topic: call routing question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 15:30:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00550 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.