Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » deleting email slow
  •  
nixIT

Send a private message to this user
Hello all,

I'm working with users who refuse to keep their mailboxes managed, and the outcome has resulting in people with 10's of thousands of email in their inbox and/or sent and deleted folders.

They've expressed their concerns when compared to our former Exchange server Kerio takes too long to delete email, therefore they no longer delete email, or empty their email trash.

I've explained to them that not deleting email is not helping the issue at hand, but their stance remains, Kerio takes too long to delete and empty the trash.

How long on average should it take kerio to empty the trash? Should it take considerably longer than Exchange to empty the trash?

--nixIT
  •  
Kedar

It depends on your HW, filesystem, if the datastore is on RAID, how many files were deleted at once etc.

I think automated clean-out should solve your problem - http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-domautod elete.html
It can be configured per domain and per user.
Items are deleted periodically on background, it shouldn't affect users' work.
  •  
nixIT

@Radek Sip,

Thanx for the response.

Yesterday afternoon I set up the automatic cleanout on my account for testing. Had some emails in sent and deleted from early-mid September, and had the automated cleanout set for 10 days, however, this morning I noticed that the email in those folders was not gone, they were still there.

Is there a setting I am missing?

--nixIT
  •  
Kedar

Messages are deleted in batches to prevent CPU/disk overload on first deleting in big store. The limit is 1000 messages at once per folder and it's configurable in mailserver.cfg by <variable name="AutoDeleteFolderLimit">1000</variable>
So it's possible your messages will be deleted in next periodic check

Second possible reason: time is not counted from sent/receive date, but last manipulation with message (e.g. moving between folders)
  •  
GlennK

This is a neat function that it limits to 1000 to prevent overload. Thanks for that. Good to know too. I have wondered myself why some messages weren't deleted right away.

Another question in this category: when does the deleting take place? What time? Is it related to user login? When I look at the logs it seems random.
  •  
p0ddie

Hi,

if deleting takes long, then you need a faster disk system. Deleting is just another disk I/O task for the mail server.

As far as when the deleting takes place: from what I have observed (didn't look that close as my main concern is these messages are deleted) it's the exact amount of time as set up in the cleanout (10 days = 240 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds) since last action (move/read/write) of the file +- a few minutes.
  •  
mj

I've just discovered that deleting thousands of messages actually brings Kerio to a screeching halt. First I've deleted 38.000 messages, which resulted in roughly 30 minutes of complete lockout. Couldn't connect via IMAP and couldn't login via Webmail. Then I did the same with another 6.000 messages and suffered another ten minute lockout.

Is that normal? Our cyrus-imapd servers running on similar hardware do not behave like this. The actual process of deleting the files on the harddrive may take a while but the mailserver stays responsive during the entire process, whereas with Kerio the deletion seems instantenous but immediately afterwards Kerio appears to have crashed, only to regain consciousness after several minutes. During this lockout the process 'mailserver' munches between 30% and 200% cpu load.
  •  
GlennK

mj, it definitely has to do with disk I/O. If you can help it, don't delete that many messages at once. I know it might not be within your control if the user is deleting. Better answer is to get fast & multiple drives and to limit the number of users on the system. Also see what you can do to help avoid the situation that 38,000 files would need to be deleted in the first place by implementing policies.

You say it's taking huge amount of cpu. I haven't experienced this.

You can also make sure you have nothing else on the computer that might be causing the disk I/O simultaneously. Any extra drag is going to be a problem.

I haven't seen "complete lockout" but definitely a major slowdown and a mail queue backlog.
  •  
smb

I did a quick test on our system and moved then deleted 10k e-mails. It took 30 to 60 seconds for each step and there wasn't any performance impact on the rest of the system. We use 15k SAS drives configured as raid 10 on the new LSI dual core raid controller with battery backup.

If you are using a software based raid then the high CPU load would make sense as well as the poor performance.
  •  
GlennK

Good point on the cpu spiking on software RAID.
  •  
mj

I'm slowly moving in on this. It is a software raid but that really isn't the problem since the process causing the high CPU load is mailserver, not mdadm. Either way I'm starting to think this may be a ReiserFS related problem. Recently I've discovered that ReiserFS gets annoyingly slow when handling thousands of files on large storages. Since we're planning to move Kerio to a different hardware in the near future I won't start bickering with this now and start looking into once it's moved to a newer server with XFS instead of ReiserFS.
Previous Topic: Quota Displayed in Web Mail
Next Topic: Multiple Domains
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 04:40:14 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.