Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect or Exchange? (If initial software cost isn't an issue, which should I go with?)
  •  
cptlo306

Send a private message to this user
Hi,
I manage IT for a small 26 person company and our email is currently hosted with Microsoft Exchange Online (BPOS). Our contract with Microsoft is up soon and we want to move back to an internal server. I've tried Kerio in a small test environment (just me, not with users) and like it pretty well. My only concern is the reports of performance with KOFF that I've read here in the forums. The average mailbox size of my users is about 3GB and about a third (8-9 users) don't do a good job of managing their mailboxes so they have thousands of messages in their Inbox and Sent Items. I think the most is about 7000 messages.

So, given this setup:

26-30 users
Average mailbox size of 3GB.
Biggest mailbox is 8GB.
8-9 users with more than 5000 messages in Inbox and Sent Items
XP machines (2gb ram) with Outlook 2007
5 Activesync users
Server is new (quad core, 16gb ram, raid5 sata with 4 7200rpm drives)

and assuming the initial software cost isn't a consideration, should I go with Kerio Connect or Exchange 2010? I realize I'm posting this in a Kerio forum so the opinions may be skewed but I'm hoping to get real world opinions based on people with extended experience with Kerio Connect.

Thanks in advance.
Thomas
  •  
McIrish

We are in a similar situation. I'm working with Kerio Connect to see if it might be a good alternative to Exchange 2010. If money were not an object, I would go with Exchange. The amount of knowledge needed to keep it running well is kind of tough. We've had an Exchange 2003 server since it became available. There is a lot of power to Exchange but no easy way to harness it. kerio is much easier and quite a bit less expensive.
The only troubles I'm seeing so far are poor performance of Outlook 2011 for Mac as well as the slowness of Outlook offline connector. I'd use the webmail if it had a few more features. Most notibly for me is the lack of a way to have an email close when you hit the reply button. That should be an easy thing but I don't see it anywhere.
I was looking at a lot of different email solutions. For us, Blackberry support with a BES server was essential. That took most mail solutions out of the running.

Make sure you write back to tell us which you picked. I have a month to play around with Kerio Connect. I'm faily pleased so far.
  •  
cptlo306

Thanks for the feedback. Smile

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks.
  •  
mwd

If money is no object then go Exchange 2010 (although looking at your server specs I would say that you could have got something better). Otherwise Kerio Connect is awesome.

I manage a bunch of Exchange 2003/2007/2010 and Kerio Connect servers. Exchange works well: you don't need the Kerio Outlook Connector, Search is better, integrates with AD nicely (so does Kerio) etc. I have an Exchange 2010 install for a really small client of 3-5 people. It uses all the 24gb of Ram (great for caching).

Kerio Connect is really easy to manage and upgrade (easier than exchange), is supported on Mac/Linux/Windows and the logging can be a bit easier for quickly checking something. Kerio is happy on 2gb of ram unlike Exchange.

I like both programs, Kerio does often win simply because it is so easy to use (and cheap).

EDIT: Oh I just saw your server specs. Raid 5 and SATA disks! It doesn't get any worse than that. I would at least use Raid 10.

Raid 5 is slow for small file writes and is not recommended for Kerio.
SATA drives are slow and again not great, although for your size company it should be okay as long as you swap to Raid 10 (even Raid 1 is better than Raid 5 for Kerio).

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2011 05:51]

Previous Topic: pls help with error messge: ClientStatisticsDb.cpp: ClientStatisticsDb::createDatabase() - SQLite er
Next Topic: Delegation broken in 10.7.2
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 12:38:42 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00404 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.