Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2011 - unusable?
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
Hi,
We have installed Kerio Connect 7.2.3 patch 1 build 5179. I've got everything working, including Blackberrys. The only thing keeping me from recommending we make the switch is Mac support. I have Outlook 2011 installed on a new Mac and used the kerio connector to configure the account. That was easy. The problem is that Outlook 2011 stops receiving email for unknown reasons and I have to restart it. Then it sits there downloading the inbox (2 items) for up to ten minutes. Obviously, that is unusable in a corporate environment. We are 50% Macs here.

Anyone else see this kind of behavior? I'd love to find a solution so I can dump Exchange, but this is a no-go for us.

What are your experiences?
  •  
McIrish

91 views yet no opinions? There have to be others running Office 2011, aren't there? I'd love to hear other opinions, even if you think my problems are self induced.
  •  
kthomas

We've started moving users from Entourage to Outlook 2011, and Outlook does seem to require more server resources to run smoothly.
It would tend to sync chunks of folders and then stop, saying it was up to date when it was not, eventually syncing everything if left alone long enough.
Kerio's HTTP traffic charts would also show big spikes followed by periods of no traffic.

Faster server drives has made a big improvement for us, although we're leery of continuing to add more Outlook clients.
What are you using for Kerio's data store? Fast access times and IO appear to be critical.
  •  
InterHmai

I had the same problem.

Emailed kerio, they said it should be fixed in the next update.

They seemed to imply or indicate that it was caused or exasperated by accounts with large volumes of items or something.

I ended up having to switch back to Entourage.
  •  
McIrish

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know others are working through difficulties too. Right now, I'm just in the testing phase and it's running on an i7 desktop machine with a 750GB drive. Not optimal at all. I only have three test users and only one is running Outlook 2011. Each of the mailboxes it around 1GB. I'm hoping the next update comes pretty soon while we are in the testing phase. That's one of the only things holding us back from jumping of the Exchange bandwagon.
  •  
renefn

Are you using the delegates features to access other users mailboxes? Apparently that's not supported and causes a lot of CPU and disk usage on Connect. You should use File -> Open -> Other users folder (or something like that) to access another users inbox (only the inbox is supported).

This wasn't a problem with 7.2.2 but appeared right after updating to 7.2.3 patch 1.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
McIrish

Nope, I haven't gotten into that far. We are not sharing anything. I just find that Outlook 2011 stops getting new email and has to be restarted. Then it sits with the "downloading 1/2" for 5-10 minutes and starts working correctly again.... for a while. It's a little frustrating. I'd like to go the next step in replacing our Exchange 2003 server but I'd lose my job if I gave this to my boss right now. Entourage seems to be ok though, so at least there is a workaround. I really hope the next update comes out soon. Heck, I'd even beta test it.
  •  
skeates

@InterHmai

I assume when kerio implied this would be fixed in the next update after 7.2.3 patch 1?

We've been testing it for a while now with mixed resultes, but management want it rolled out across the board as they want to standardize. So through this week were rolling out 90+ users day one so far is again giving mixed resultes. It's either working or it's doing things like syncing some folders but not others or parts of folders.

I've noticed the high IO as well and the CPU maxing out through the day.
  •  
McIrish

Is the CPU maxing on the server of the client? I'm really very interested in how this works out for you. I have 170 users I would be migrating, but I'm a bit nervous. I really like the idea of supporting someone other than Microsoft, but I also want to keep my job. ha ha

How many users will you have on Kerio when you are done? Are there others around here with a large number of users? We live an die based on email, so I have to make the best choice. Kerio is interesting due to it's relative simplicity. I like that. I just don't want to open up a can of worms and find that people are frustrated by it. I'd love to here more success stories.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2011 18:32]

•  
skeates

Kerio at the moment with this upgrade is acting the way it did prio to the 7.2 update. For this client of mine prio to 7.2 Kerio CPU always maxed out and was very unresponsive with any e-mail client or with webmail.

I think it's partly due to the way it was initially setup wit a raid 5 volume. Were were about to upgrade the disk's to faster ones an implement raid 10 but after the 7.2 update all our problems went away. Now they are back with outlook, so we might have to re-address that issue. To be honest my feeling is kerio is running ok, and that Outlook is causing the problem. Unfortunately we the client needs to move away from apple mail as it has it's own issues and we can't be dealing with Entourage database crashes any more as they in them selfs have caused endless head aces.

So either MS need to sort out there product or Kerio need to find a way to accommodate it's flakiness.
  •  
McIrish

I agree about Entourage database crashes. I get complaints from our 60 Mac users all the time. Compound that with many of them having at least 2 macs that are connected to email and it's impossible to make people happy. They are tired of the same old line from me "rebuild the database and tell me if it starts syncing again". Rebuilding a 4GB database is a slow process. I was hoping Outlook was going to solve all our problems with Macs. I guess not. I wish I could just tell them all to use web mail, but that doesn't go over well at all.
  •  
skeates

I don't think a solution on the mac front at least any were close. In the past 4 years I've been supporting kerio I've never found a decent solution on the client end. The Windows and Linux side I think have better solutions with outlook and evolution.

Apple mail has never really been great for group ware Entourage has always been poor and with the increase of mailbox sizes it has just become unusable. Theres thunderbird and all it's varians, but again never been really great with group ware.

The possible solution to this for Kerio to design and build there own client that will work correctly with their server and providing all the function needed. I belive Zimbra has something similar they have their own client although i've never used it or zimbra so could not comment on it, but this might be the solution to many problems.

•  
McIrish

I had taken a brief look at Zimbra too. The fact that it was Linux based was kind of a turn-off to me as I always find the linux command line interface to be cryptic. Maybe I should take a closer look at it...
  •  
McIrish

Have you ever dealt with Entourage/Outlook on Mac connected to an Exchange server? In my experience, it hasn't been too good either. I'm wondering how Kerio compares to exchange when dealing with Macs.
marook

What I don't understand is, why does Outlook 2011 need 20-30+ connections for EACH user?

Attached connection list is for ONE user, and only shows 2/3 of the users connections!!!
Update: This user actually has 52 connections open, where ONE is ActiceSync from the iPhone...

All other clients seem to use the normal 1 connection.. like ActiveSync (1), IMAP (1)... etc..

Outlook SUCKS big time, if you ask me...
It just sits there with status "All folders are in sync"... when you KNOW it's only gotten the 1/10 of the mails in the folder... Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2011 14:37]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: Can Apple Mail use "Subscribe Shared folder" function?
Next Topic: Mailweiterleitung für nicht angelegte Benutzer einer Domain
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 04:48:17 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00512 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.