Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New install - Cannot stop or start
  •  
Analog

Send a private message to this user
10.7.2 Server on a Core i7 Mini, KC 7.3.2 patch 1 (build 5179)

New server, new install of Kerio Connect 7.3.2 patch 1, was prepping for a migration and I got to the part where I needed to stop the entire (Kerio Connect) server. System prefs, authenticated, pressed the Stop Server button. It pauses for 20 seconds and says:
Kerio Connect Monitor
Cannot stop Kerio Connect.

If I fire up Terminal and head to /usr/local/kerio/mailserver and (with escalated privileges) run ./mailserver stop, well this is an exact copy and paste (I did not transpose stop and start):
bash-3.2# ./mailserver stop
Kerio Connect failed to start: Library libkticonv.2.dylib could not be loaded

What is going on?

Troubleshooting I have already tried:
- Reinstalled Kerio Connect.
- Reinstalled 10.7.2 server combo update.
- Repaired permissions.
- Updated the dyld cache.
- Uninstalled KC, restarted, repaired permissions, reinstalled.
- If I kill the mailserver process it does stop and is shown as stopped in the system pref panel, and if I try to start it using the control panel I get:
Kerio Connect Monitor
Cannot start Kerio Connect.
After a 20 second pause.
- To be clear, I never got to the point where I even tried to use kmsrecover as per [links removed, I have not posted 5 times yet so the forum is prohibiting me from post kerio.com links]. There is no old data here.
- Although OS X Server services should not interfere with running the core of KC I disabled all that would interfere with KC services such as mail and web. I can handle service conflicts no problem, but not being able to stop and start KC using KC applied methods on a Kerio-approved OS (Lion Server) makes me nervous - I do not want to have to force quit KC if I need to stop it.

Thank you for any help or input -- even if it's just to say "I think you should contact official Kerio support."
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I think it is always worth to read the manual: http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-installa tion.html
Here you can find how to start/stop the service from command line (instead of trying crazy things like running wrong binaries or killing services).
  •  
Analog

Pressing the Stop Server button in the Kerio Connect Monitor System Preference pane is very much "by the book" and flat out does not work.

To address your concern though, running
sudo launchctl start com.kerio.mailserver
does nothing. No error and no stopped mailserver.

Please help.

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

It is clearly stated in the manual:
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard:

Stopping the Kerio Connect Engine
sudo /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer stop

Running the Kerio Connect Engine
sudo /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer start

Restarting the Kerio Connect Engine
sudo /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer restart
  •  
Analog

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Stopping does work via the command line when I use the right command. Fancy that.

However it's fair to say Kerio Connect Monitor is broken in build 5179 on 10.7.2 Server. There is no way a Kerio branded tool should be failing in this manner on an officially supported OS.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2011 19:04]

•  
GlennK

I have found Connect difficult to stop as well, since one of the updates that mentioned waiting in order to help with corruption of the index files.

Regarding stopping the server I usually use this command, I found in the manual (might be an older version of the manual, but it works)

Stopping the Kerio MailServer Engine:

SystemStarter stop KerioMailServer

Starting the Kerio MailServer Engine:

SystemStarter start KerioMailServer

Restarting the Kerio MailServer Engine:

SystemStarter restart KerioMailServer

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2011 17:53]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

This is for 10.4 Tiger only. On Leopard and higher you should use launchctl.
  •  
haswek

Hi,

I also had the problem, new server running 10.7.2 and Kerio 7.2.3 patch 1 (5179). Was unable to stop the Kerio server using the Mac GUI. However these Terminal commands worked fine for me:-

Note, when I stopped Kerio this way the Mac system preferences still showed it as running!

I also had a problem after moving the data store where all MAPI clients started getting emails saying "Public folders were probably changed from global to domain or vice versa. Run your profile's configuration again, please." I fixed this by deleting __keriomapi_STORE in #public then restarting the Kerio server.
  •  
Analog

There is no documentation in the link Pavel provided for 10.7.x at this time. Nevertheless
sudo /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer restart
are the correct commands to use, carrying over from Snow Leopard.

I also found that using "./KerioMailServer stop" works just fine while using an escalated shell in /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/.

GlennK: Those commands are exclusively for Tiger.

Pavel: In response to "On Leopard and higher you should use launchctl."
This is incorrect. The Kerio launchctl command does nothing in Lion Server.

haswek: I greatly appreciate your confirmation! (That this appears to be an issue with KC itself on 10.7 Server, not specific my install of it) Of note, using sudo /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer stop does show KC as stopped after 8 seconds. Starting shows up in Kerio Connect Monitor almost immediately.

Kerio Connect Monitor is broken in Lion Server.

I hope Kerio will fix it soon, as according to the admin guide Pavel linked above it is the officially recommended way to start and stop KC: If possible, it is recommended to stop/start the service by using the button in System Preferences → Others → Kerio Connect Monitor (see figure 3.3 Kerio Connect Monitor).
  •  
GlennK

for what its worth: the old commands work in Leopard.
Previous Topic: Install via SSH on CentOS 5
Next Topic: Clendar on iCloud does not work on Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:03:28 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.