Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Push Kerio Outlook Offline Connector via GPO ? (Install Offline connector using gpo)
  •  
ndidomenico

Send a private message to this user
We will be upgrading our Kerio mailserver this weekend from 6.6.2 to 6.7.3 to 7.2.3. We will also need to replace the old Outlook Offline Connector v6.6.2 with the new v7.2.3 version on all of our 120 pc's.

Is it possible to push the install using a GPO when the users log in on Monday morning, instead of having to install it manually on each pc ? If so, could you provide instructions or links on how to do this ? Note: Our users do not have admin rights, only regular user rights.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2011 14:48]

•  
TorW

KOFF deployment via AD/GPO is described in the "Best practice deployment guide", although only the gotchas and caveats. The rest should be familiar territory, I hope.
  •  
ndidomenico

Thanks Torw. I didn't find much about GPO deployment in the Best Practice Deployment Guide", except this paragraph which makes up the whole section of section "3.5 Global Installation using Active Directory":

"... this installation method is highly unrecommended in cases where there is the danger of mass synchronization of too many clients at one time (this might lead to the server's overload). For details, refer to Kerio Connect 7, Administrator's Guide.

Searched for keywords GPO or AD in the Admin Guide and found nothing. Should I look somewhere else ?
  •  
TorW

The long and short of it is that deployment via GPO is possible. Just grab the MSI file from the download pages and push it out like any other software package. If you don't know how to do the latter, look in the relevant Microsoft documentation. How you deploy the connector isn't really Kerio's business.

You can always start with MS' http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102
Regular Windows Installer command line switches works, as well as distribution via computer or user policy.

Tip: please notify your users about the cache conversion once Outlook fires up with KOFF 7.2.3. It could take a while for really large mailboxes (several GBs), and they will have to sit through the conversion. There's nothing quite as unsettling as having a "strange dialogue box" showing up Monday morning ... Wink
  •  
ndidomenico

Thanks very much Torw. This is going to be very helpfull. I wanted to hear about someone that had used Kerio's MSI package to be sure it was working properly.

•  
MarkK

I just did this with my last two upgrades to 7.2.4. Here is what I did:

Download the KOC, KOFF, and Updater Service MSI files and copy them to some where local and accessible for each location. Best if it is using a common drive letter or DFS namespace.

Created a new blank GPO for each of the components; KerioUpdaterInstall, KerioKoc, and KerioKoff. In each of the GPOs, go to Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installation. Right click New > Package. Add in the component needed, and when going through the windows select Assigned. Repeat this for each of the GPO / MSI (3 total) combos.

Create a WMI filter for each component and set the query to look for what it is updating. I have these:

Kerio KOC Install
root/CIMv2
SELECT * FROM Win32_Product WHERE Caption="Kerio Outlook Connector" AND NOT Version = "7.2.5419"

Kerio Koff Install
root/CIMv2
SELECT * FROM Win32_Product WHERE Caption="Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition)" AND NOT Version = "7.2.5419"

Kerio Updater Install
root/CIMv2
SELECT * FROM Win32_Product WHERE Caption LIKE "%Kerio Outlook Connector%"

{On the Updater, I have some machines that do not have email access, so I did not want to install the updater service on them. Since I still use both the Online and the Offline connector, this only installs if it finds one of those already installed. BUT, if you always are going to to the update by GPO, you may not need to install the Updater service. May have to wait and see with Connect 7.3 on how the Updater service is really used.}

Then associate the WMI filter with the GPO it goes with. Just double click the GPO and associate the WMI filter at the bottom of the Scope screen.

The link the GPO to your OU container that it applies to.

•  
MarkK

Guess I should of mentioned that this worked WAY better for me than the current built in upgrade system. Don't know about the Updater Service system that will be effective with Connect 7.3.

•  
ndidomenico

Thank you so much MarkK ! This is more than I could have hoped for. Will try this tomorrow for our upgrade.

Thanks again !
  •  
MarkK

OK... CORRECTION to query

Change "SELECT * FROM Win32_Product"
to "SELECT * FROM Win32reg_AddRemovePrograms"

Ran in to the issue that Win32_Product would query all of the programs installed on the computer to see if it needed to be modified by the WMI query. This was noted by several events listed in the EventVwr.

As per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974524, changing to Win32reg_AddRemovePrograms avoids this.
Previous Topic: Recurring Tasks (Webmail)
Next Topic: Kerio crashing, support have no clue
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:12:39 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00474 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.