Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Voicemail Distortion? (My voicemails sound drunk)
  •  
tbridge

Send a private message to this user
I'm new to Operator in the recent weeks, but I've got a setup running in VMware Fusion on a Mac mini server, with two cores reserved to Operator's VM, with 512MB of RAM set for the VM. The VM is living on the boot drive, which is an SSD.

Calls sound great, but voicemail.... well, I swear I haven't had any beers this evening, but I sound like I've had several:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/780505/msg0000.wav

Any idea where I've gone wrong?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Interesting. Sounds like you have some packet loss there, combined with a higher compression codec. What is your network quality like and what is your codec configuration?

Vladimir
  •  
tbridge

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for writing back. Network health is good. From the host machine:

104 packets transmitted, 103 packets received, 1.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 23.676/33.294/426.094/45.869 ms

GSM Full Rate had been at the top, I've tried moving over to A-Law and ยต-Law, but neither made a difference.

Is there a network diagnostics in Operator itself I can try?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Your jitter might be too high. You can use the built-in packet sniffer (System > Network) to capture packets. After that analyze the packet dump with Wireshark - some nice tools there under the Telephony menu. Start with Telephony > RTP > Show all streams. What are your jitter values?
  •  
tbridge

Hi Vladimir,

Ran a packet trace during an active call:

"Src IP addr","Src port","Dst IP addr","Dst port","SSRC","Payload","Packets","Lost","Max Delta (ms)","Max Jitter (ms)","Mean Jitter (ms)","Pb?"
"10.0.50.201","15034","64.61.93.170","11986","0x3BF8EAA4 ","g711A","547","0 (0.0%)","24.66","2.37","0.98","X"
"64.61.93.170","11986","10.0.50.201","15034","0x469402E6 ","g711A","3120","-1560 (-100.0%)","40.18","5.54","2.50","X"

Max jitter is 5.54ms, Mean Jitter is 2.50ms

You can grab the pcap through my dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/780505/dump.pcap

I'm seeing some packet sequence errors, but I'm not sure what that's all about, since it's literally every other packet.
  •  
tbridge

As the kids say: Lesson Learned.

VMware + Wifi + Operator = garbly voicemail.

Switched VMware to using the Ethernet connection directly, and all is well.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

I guess the packet sequence errors were the root cause of the problem.
Previous Topic: Configuring BLF on Snom phones
Next Topic: Internal call restrictions
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:51:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00413 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.