Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Any Blackberry Admins here? Quick question....
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
Hey guys,
We are nearly done with our trial of Kerio Connect 7.3. We're coming from Exchange and some of my beta testing guys are complaining about something that I can't seem to figure out.

When our people move a message in Outlook into a sub folder, they cant see the message on their Blackberry. They can see the folder but it looks empty on the Blackberry.

If they move mail from the Blackberry into a subfolder, they can then see it fine on the Blackberry.

Is this a configuration thing or a limitation of Kerio Blackberry Connector?

Thanks for the help.
  •  
McIrish

Forgot to mention we are on BES Express 5.03. I've got about 100 Blackberry users.
  •  
McIrish

Here's an update. I've spent a couple weeks sorting out issues. For anyone looking to use Blackberries with Kerio Connect, here are some potential issues. I'd love for someone to write back and tell me I'm wrong on this. But, my tests with our users show these things.

Kerio Blackberry Connector works pretty well and it's not hard to install or configure. It acts pretty much like BES with Exchange except....

Problems:
1) Sync when deleting mail on the Blackberry or in Outlook is intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If they do sync at all, it could take 20 minutes to happen.

2) Sent items from Outlook will not appear as sent items on the Blackberry. Sent items on the Blackberry will show up in Outlook, so it's a 50% split of good and bad on that.

3) Can't find any way to allow Blackberry users to login to Web Desktop. BES thinks everyone is in active directory and won't allow changes to user name or password for Web Desktop login.

4) If you add other folders to the sync, users can't move multiple items into those folders at once, or the Blackberry will only show the first item in the list that was moved.

I did find a way to add folders to the sync in Blackberry admin services for each user. It's kind of a pain, considering they used to be able to do that through Web Desktop.

Anyone else have a ton of Blackberries in their organization?
  •  
Tarsionion

... to be honest don't use blackberry and kerio.
We do have about 10 devices and i do have problems once a week. Mostly it is that some replication is not working anymore. Contacts or calender starts to sync in one way direction or no way at all. And there is no way (yet) to troubleshoot expect to wipe the whole device and resync.

Blackberry does not support kerio at all and kerio is pointing to RIM for blackberry support. yeah, love to be the man in the middle.

Maybe i'm the only one and every body else is using BB with Kerio just fine. I'm on the newest Kerio and newest BB Server Version.

Cheers,
Tarsinion
  •  
McIrish

That's not very encouraging. Blackberry support was the #1 reason I chose to do a test installation of Kerio. It was the closest thing to Exchange that I could find. I've had guys on it for a month and I've had to reinstall Kerio Connector for Blackberry and BES Express twice because it stopped working.

I was hoping the 15 of us on Kerio would stay on kerio and I'd move the rest of our 175 users over. After this last weekend, I've asked for quotes on Exchange 2010 again. That really disappoints me to have to do that. There is so much to like about Kerio Connect. Installation was a breeze. I love the status and traffic screens to give me a quick idea of what's happening.

I'll still keep my 15 test guys on Kerio this week but I'm losing hope that we can stay with it.
  •  
Tarsionion

I'm running Kerio und Debian and it is just the very best E-Mail server i have encountered so far. As Admin i relly like Kerio, its just kind of "fire and fogett" system. I could talk for ages of the advantages of kerio to exchange but blackberry keeps being a pain in the a** here.

I still hope its just our setup and there are kerio admins out there with blackberry in use who are very happy with the setup.

Our Setup:
- Kerio 7.3.0 on Debian
- BB 5.0.3 on Windows 7
- AD on Win08 R2

All Servers are running in VM. Blackberrys 9000 and above (inklusive the brand new 9900)

Cheers,

Richard

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2011 11:31]

•  
SoBoL

McIrish wrote on Sat, 12 November 2011 01:04

3) Can't find any way to allow Blackberry users to login to Web Desktop.

Hi, resolve is simple - create administrator user with BAS authentication type and then activete this user as blackberry user. Wink

But for other probles i dont have another resolves. All of this points are true, contact kerio support is awful and you have the impression that they are not aware of what is to say to them (issues do not exist) or given answers are how to manual.

In my company, the BES began to work with Kerio 4 months ago and since that time I had to reinstall BB server 4 times. HOW PREPARED IS MAPI FOR BES IS ONE BIG MISTAKE!
  •  
McIrish

I'd love to hear any success stories about Kerio and BES. I got quotes on Exchange 2010 today with software assurance. Wow, is that expensive! We've been on Exchange 2003 since it came out. I haven't paid anything for it in so many years that it's a tough pill to swallow when your looking at six figures over the next three years.
  •  
vomsupport

You can also try Astrasync & NotifySync
  •  
McIrish

those both have annual renewal fees that outweigh their benefit when youre looking at 100 blackberrys.
  •  
vomsupport

Don't forget to factor in the additional cost most Wireless providers charge for a BB plan...

We saved 9 per month ...

Then there is the cost for a BES server/OS/Virus Software/etc. Not to mention the additional electric/cooling costs.

And then there is the fact that you no longer have to depend on RIM to be up and functioning as they recently showed us.

IMHO...

•  
Tarsionion

... we did use Astrasync and it was kind of okay, but not comfortable. It did sometimes just stop syncing and you had to manuell force it to resync (for example when you did not have data connection for some time). Quite an easy task but as you know the users keep calling ..

And syncronising about ~6000 contacts is real pain.
Takes about 12h.
  •  
vomsupport

Agreed it is a little slow.. but I will take that over having to reinstall BES on a monthly basis because it quits processing mail or my favorite a customer gets a new BB and you cannot set up his mail with reinstalling BES. And of course remember that you cannot change the login password as it breaks the whole system.

•  
McIrish

Just by reading the forums, it doesn't appear that anyone has Blackberry's working flawlessly with Kerio. It's a real shame. I had to hand in the quote for Exchange 2010 to our accounting dept along with the reports from our test users of Kerio over that last month. I feel like Kerio is so close to being a good alternative to Exchange/BES, but not there yet. Maybe in a few more years it might be a contender. I'm truly disappointed. The majority of our users didn't have any problems, but the few that did made sure their voice was heard. The lack of sync of sent items from Outlook/Entourage to the Blackberry proved to be the downfall of Kerio. Sync from Blackberry sent items to Outlook/Entourage works fine. Just not the other way around. My guys live and die on Blackberry. Changing to iPhone or Android is not an option for us. A couple more days and accounting will tell me what they want me to do.
beko

Do not use BB with Kerio. It is full of bugs. We had to move our BB users from BES to BIS. I wonder that Kerio could have released this.
Previous Topic: Wish List
Next Topic: 7.3.0 build 5623 ActiveSync issue
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 15:27:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00646 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.