Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio SaaS details on website
  •  
gbrown100

Send a private message to this user
In case a Kerio employee is lurking I have two points to make about your SaaS text on your website:

1. The text regarding backup says:

In a typical environment, the backup process will take approximately one hour for every 20 GB. If the backup process exceeds 6 hours, you may consider allocating faster drives for the backup location, or incorporating a 3rd party backup option, such as rsync.

Note the last bit about rsync. Every time I contact support about this I am told this is not supported and could corrupt the mail store. Well, if you are suggesting to people your backup scheme is not adequate for large data stores you need to start coming up with another solution you do support.

2. The text keeps referring to Kerio Control not Connect.

Just a couple of observations, I'll be sure to pass on to the representative the calls me to tell me more about the SaaS licensing model and pricing. Really good to see this change though, everyone has their head in the Cloud these days and it's getting harder to shift licenses for local installs.

Thanks

Graham
  •  
TorW

Unsupported does not mean forbidden, illegal or immoral, and there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Rsync has been proven to work, but Kerio (probably) does not want to recommend it. By reading these forums for a few days, it is obvious that some admins go out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot. For these, rsync is not a solution since it can't by any stretch of the imagination be said to "just work".

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2011 22:50]

•  
giobbi

I agree.

Its obvious Kerio doesn't like to be backed up. Non the less - we have to. Somehow. Rsync works. My time windows is small, data only gets bigger and bigger. So how do we backup half a terrabyte or more of Kerio data? What is supported?
  •  
TorW

We use Kerio's built-in backup. Full backups on Fridays, differential backups Sundays through Thursdays. We back up to a separate SAN volume and dump the zip files to tape during our regular backup schedule. The message store is around 350 GB.

Why is this not a soluton? Just curious.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2011 14:25]

•  
Breecher

Like Graham, I have been looking at running rsync to keep another server on standby ready to use if needed. However, I run servers for clients in a virtual environment (with extra VMWare servers) and use Microsoft Data Protection Manager with replication every 15 minutes on my Kerio server; works great and I can recover quickly to another server if needed.

Furthermore, as all incoming mail is routed through a third party for spam/virus checks, they will queue for up to two days so I will not have to deal with bounced e-mail during the downtime should the server crash.

However, I am actually looking at moving to using a couple SAN servers, moving to iSCSI storage with active/passive failover as the cost is so low these days.

TorW, you asked why your backup process is not sufficient. Without more details, I would say that just using Kerio's backup solution could leave a potential windows of 24 hours of data loss. While maybe for basic file shares, the cost/benefit is not justified, for e-mail and databases with thousands to hundreds of thousands of transactions per day, the closer you get to continues data protection is better. For instance, I know that if my government/utility company lost even 2-4 hours of work by 35+ employees, they would be really upset with me.

Matthew
  •  
hbianchi

Just to tell you our experience, we are using Rsync /we work on linux server) since about 4 years ago without any problem. Usually, we run several rsync process during working day and that has little effect on server performance. At least, nobody has claimed on it when rsync was working (we have about 600 users and 400 GB storage).

We moved from one equipment to other and we changed hard disks 2 times in last 5 years and we had no problem at all with the storage. We also had a couple of "emergencies" during the same period and we only loss no more tah none hour messages or two.

Our experience is that no matter Kerio does not support, rsync works fine and is a cheap alternative to backup big amounts of storage.
Previous Topic: Shared Calendar Error
Next Topic: OS Lion - Apache and Kerio webmail services
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 14:06:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00447 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.