Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » best way to migrate from a PPC (G5) to an Intel OSX machine?
  •  
bzeb

Send a private message to this user
with the latest version of Kerio Connect being Intel-only... i finally have a reason to move it off of the G5 Xserve (running 10.5) to an Intel Mac (10.7).

what is the best method for transferring everything Kerio?

i normally only use the OSX "Migration Assistant" on client machines... so i am uncertain whether or not it will actually copy all the various Kerio folders or not.

i am thinking "no"...?

i can't do a clone then an OS upgrade... as the current machine is PPC then going to Intel. even if technically possible i'd rather a fresh 10.7 install anyway.

so thinking just do an "scp" of certain folders from the old to the new. right?

1) which folders will get the entirety of my current Kerio install?

2) should i install the new Kerio on the new machine *first* and enter license info and all that ... then copy needed folders?

OR...

3) should i copy the old folders + actual app + prefpane + preferences etc... THEN install the newest Kerio update?

just wondering what other people have done in the past moving Kerio from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac.

looking for the least amount of downtime. (and i need to convert my ASSP install as well... so the quicker Kerio goes the better.)

thanks!

•  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

1. install new Connect on the new server
2. stop Connect on the new server
3. stop Connect on the old server
4. copy mailstore, configuration files and SSL certificates to the new server
5. start Connect on the new server
(assuming you will use the same IP addresses and mailstore paths on both servers)

Please note that when you moving mailstore to the different architecture (from PPC to x86), all databases in the mailstore needs to rebuild. This will be done automatically when Connect starts for the first time, but it takes some time (up to several hours, depending on mailstore size) and might degrade Connect performance during that time.

Please also see following KB articles:
http://kb.kerio.com/article/upgrade-from-powerpc-based-mac-t o-intel-based-mac-715.html
http://kb.kerio.com/article/how-do-i-move-kerio-connect-from -one-machine-to-another-or-change-operating-systems-360.html

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2011 10:49]

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
perennialdesign

Can the same process be applied when migrating to a Mac OS 10.7 Server from a Win XP, KC 7.2.3 install?
  •  
perennialdesign

We've encountered corrupt .zip KC backup files in the past. How will this affect the kmsrecover application during the restoration process?
  •  
Kedar

Was the ZIP file corrupted on old server or after transfer to new server? kmsrecover cannot work with corrupted ZIP file.
  •  
perennialdesign

I'm only speaking hypothetically.
I plan to use kmsrecover to migrate to a Macintel.
If kmsrecover encounters a corrupt .zip archive during restore does it abort the job or skip the file and continue?
Previous Topic: Access to the adress books via ODBC
Next Topic: How is Kerio going to deal with Mozilla's rapid release process?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 23:47:15 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00390 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.