Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Replicated server to other location
  •  
kenf

Send a private message to this user
We are currently running Kerio Connect 7.1.4 patch 1 build 3411. We had a power outage and were unable to access our email. Is there a way to setup a second server that can be replicated from the first? If the first server goes down, the second server will be accessible. Would the "Distributed Domains" feature work for this?
  •  
tonyswu

Unfortunately, Kerio doesn't have any cluster functionality. I use Mac server for Kerio, and the closet thing I can come to a cluster is to have two computers, 1 running, another in target disk mode connected to the first one with a firewire cable. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the server in a regular basis, and if the running server goes down, you can fire up the second one within minimum down time.
  •  
unityweb

We use rsync to sync the /opt folder. Works fine.
  •  
TCMMac

Is Rsync or CCC a better solution? I take it Distributed Domains does not solve the issue.

I ask because we are about to do the same thing, and need a redundant (Mac) Connect server.
  •  
tonyswu

We use CCC, which I believe uses rsync.
  •  
sfpete

How often are you running the clone? This seems pivotal. Do you run it every day? hour? 5 mins?

In the event that you had to revert to the clone, what is the impact of the difference between the master and the clone on the connected email clients that may be more up to date than the server clone? I'm just _guessing_ they'll sync back in time? Or freak out.

And, are you using the network "Remote Macintosh" function in Carbon copy cloner?

•  
tonyswu

We run the clone every 3 hours.

In the event that we had to revert to the clone, we would lose at worst 3 hours worth of emails. If the master is later recovered, you should be able to just sync them again and preserve the newer files. We've not had to do this yet, so I guess I should probably go fail my server purposely and try out my recovery process.

No, we don't sync to a remote Mac. The secondary mac mini is connected to the primary in target disk mode over firewire. We have switched power strip, so if the primary fails, we turn off power on the primary server, and cycle the secondary server so it boots up normally.
  •  
yukiomishima

why not try the following (not my solution... but one i found when looking at creating an RAIS using the mac-mini... so i can't take any credit for it)... as you are 3/4 the way there.... and this gives you 100% "live" redundancy

http://www.precursor.ca/rais/

i am not running it this way at the moment... but plan to do so when we migrate our servers over within the next few weeks

yukioMishima

[Updated on: Mon, 22 October 2012 13:07]

•  
MacLab

nice idea. Too bad you can't pull the cable remotely. But not bad!

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
andrewrob

Has anyone using CCC had problems with corrupt mailboxes etc? I want to set up a quicker backup than the 48 hours it takes to do a full backup for me at the moment. CCC seems like a good option.
  •  
sfpete

And Regarding the RAIS idea...

Isn't there a concern with leaving the mini in target disk mode with it's uncontrolled fans running full-bore 24 hours a day?
  •  
tonyswu

The RAIS idea is pretty much the same as my solution. Difference is I sync my system drive once a week, and RAIS is raided. You still need to shut down the primary server and bring up the secondary if something goes wrong. If you have a switched PDU, you can remotely turn off power on the primary, and cycle power on the secondary. Then your primary will power down, and secondary should boot normally. This is nice if your server is sitting in the datacenter.
  •  
tonyswu

sfpete wrote on Fri, 26 October 2012 08:55

And Regarding the RAIS idea...

Isn't there a concern with leaving the mini in target disk mode with it's uncontrolled fans running full-bore 24 hours a day?

I am not sure if fan spins in full power while in TDM. Legitimate concern though, I should look it up.
  •  
tonyswu

andrewrob wrote on Fri, 26 October 2012 07:25
Has anyone using CCC had problems with corrupt mailboxes etc? I want to set up a quicker backup than the 48 hours it takes to do a full backup for me at the moment. CCC seems like a good option.

I have not had problems with CCC corrupting indexes.
tonyswu

MacLab wrote on Thu, 25 October 2012 18:02
nice idea. Too bad you can't pull the cable remotely. But not bad!

With a switched power distribution unit, you can remotely shutdown the primary and cycle the secondary, basically the same as pulling the cable.
Previous Topic: Webmail defaulting to 'mini'
Next Topic: E-mail Re appearing after deletion
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 05:18:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00506 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.