Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Sending from Starbucks...???
  •  
digital randy

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

Kind of a strange one here, hopefully someone has tackled this problem earlier. Here is goes...

When using the T-Mobile HotSpot wireless access available in Starbuck, etc., I can't send mail through KMS with SMTP authentication enabled on my Mac (both Mail and Entourage). If I turn off SMTP auth within my mail client I am able to send messages despite the setting requiring authentication on the KMS server.

As far as T-Mobile and I can figure it has something to do with the fact that they use relaying to send email from all the different locations, mailrelay.t-mobile.com, actually is the server name. Unfortunately, there are no DNS entries for that server name so I can't create a SMTP rule to allow messages to be sent without auth.

Any ideas?? Sorry if I have been unclear in any part of my explanation.

Thanks,

Randy
  •  
cying

Is it possible that somehow Authentication is not working but your
setting to allow POP before SMTP worked so your email is allowed to
be sent via Kerio? Just a guess. I have only used Webmail from
Starbucks with my laptops and they work fine (MacOSX and WinXP).

Charles

At 9:36 AM -0600 6/15/04, digital randy wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Kind of a strange one here, hopefully someone has tackled this
>problem earlier. Here is goes...
>
>When using the T-Mobile HotSpot wireless access available in
>Starbuck, etc., I can't send mail through KMS with SMTP
>authentication enabled on my Mac (both Mail and Entourage). If I
>turn off SMTP auth within my mail client I am able to send messages
>despite the setting requiring authentication on the KMS server.
>
>As far as T-Mobile and I can figure it has something to do with the
>fact that they use relaying to send email from all the different
>locations, mailrelay.t-mobile.com, actually is the server name.
>Unfortunately, there are no DNS entries for that server name so I
>can't create a SMTP rule to allow messages to be sent without auth.
>
>Any ideas?? Sorry if I have been unclear in any part of my explanation.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Randy

•  
sidbarker

A possible answer is that some ISPs intercept traffic to SMTP servers and route it through their own servers - i.e. you cannot connecto to a specific SMTP server, you have to use the ISPs.
So the reason authentication doesn't work is that you are trying to authenticate against the ISPs server, not your own.

Whilst at Stabucks, from DOS try to TELNET to your SMTP server port 25, and see if the response message is yours or another one.

We had this problem a few years ago with an ISP, where an automated system would send data via SMTP (was easiest option at the time) directly to our servers. The changes the ISP made meant all emails came via them and then via our ISP. As we were sending hundreds per hour, our ISP got very upset!

Solved the problem by using a different port on our firewall and redirecting that to the SMTP Server.
  •  
sirjosi

ah. I know this problem all too well.

You guys have mentioned the right problem. tmobile uses its own smtp then throws it to your kerio mailservers smtp. Well guess what? We dont trust tmobile smtp server! not until you add it to your relay list anyway.

Get the list of tmobile's smtp server IPs and add it to your allow relay list. It sucks, but it should work. You will probably have to add an entire subnet as there are a lot of tmobile smtp servers out there.

Obviously, this info should come from tmobile bec if I give it to you, it may be im giving you false info and opening your server up.

Id like to know if this worked or not for you.

Hope this helps.
sirjosi

pay it forward
-sirjosi
  •  
digital randy

Sirjosi,

Thanks for the confirmation of the problem, glad to know I'm not alone.

I tried to find a corresponding IP address for the smtp server listed by the bounce back message, but there was no DNS record. Any ideas how to find the IP addresses of the servers, I doubt that Starbucks will just hand out that info?

Thanks again,

Randy
  •  
sirjosi

Here's some ips ive used. I urge you to call tmobile and confirm these ips.
208.54.120.1 - 208.54.260.1 (sample range)

Heres some that Ive seen.

some stuff I did to gather his smtp ips (altho I also talked to tmobile support)

1) asked my user to forward me the bounced email. I opened this email in notepad and got starbucks smtp ip.

2) I also had my user go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ when he was at starbucks. I then checked this ip with kerio security logs to find why it is being blocked.

3) I went to starbucks myself and used my users account with his permissions and poked around what ip I got, etc etc

If your user is always in the same starbucks, it might be easier for you. For me, my user goes through the entire state so it's not a closed case yet. I'm still gathering tmobile ips.

another thing you can do is have him use tmobiles smtp server instead of yours. I havent tried this route yet tho. But I had to resort to this for some users who use cox internet and aol.

third is advocate webmail :)

thanks
sirjosi

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 08:05]

pay it forward
-sirjosi
Previous Topic: KMS 6.0 Archiving to NNTP
Next Topic: KMS6 fully functional demo Web Mail available
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 01:26:14 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00452 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.