Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Item cleanout
  •  
zebby

Send a private message to this user
We've recently enabled item cleanout at domain level and saw after enabling thousands of entries in the operations log attributed to "User: $cleanout_agent" which I guess is the clean out running.

Our clean out settings are anything older than 1 year so after the initial blast I would expect to see some items going every day as they hit one year old, but there are no more clean out entries in the log.

After the initial cleanout, when does it run again?
  •  
TorW

On our server, the cleanout agent runs every few hours. It appears to be in the vicinity of every six hours, but it varies.

Most accounts have a lifetime of 14 days on objects in Deleted Items, 7 days in the junk folder, plus various other settings.
  •  
zebby

Thanks for the reply. I've taken another look through the logs and the cleanout agent has sprung back to life but I still don't understand the logic behind it.

It does seem now to be running every 7 hours here (but not at all on Tuesday of this week) but the length of time it runs varies greatly. It seems to run for hours overnight, but only minutes during the day. Perhaps it stops when users access mail?

On the rather massive overnight purge, it was just one users mailbox was having items deleted and the cleanout stopped at 02:45 the last message deleted from February 2010.

My own sent items goes back to January 4th 2011 (today is 12th) so that is over the 1 year threshold, albeit fractionally!

Becuase of the stop/start nature of the cleanout agent, and the way it appears to cycle through users, I guess it will take some time to catch up?

•  
TorW

I must say I haven't been paying very close attention the the cleanout routines, but I can definitely see disk space being reclaimed in small or big batches. There is also some information about the workings in this thread: http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/20631/83540/

The agent will by default not delete more that 1000 messages in one go, and it is indeed done periodically. If you have a really large amount of old stuff lying around, it will take some time to catch up, yes ...
  •  
zebby

That does make sense. I also didn't realise that the cleanout runs by the date of manipulation and not sent/received
  •  
jamesf

Clean Out does not appear to be working for me. I do not have system-wide clean out turned on but I do have it on for 1 test account. I have that account set for Deleted and Sent Items 30 days, Junk Items 7 days. There are messages in Deleted Items that are over 10 months old and after 2 weeks nothing has been deleted. The only reason I have gone into this account is to check to see if anything has been deleted. I really need to get Clean Out working on this account so I can set it up for other accounts.

Can anyone give me an idea why nothing is being deleted?
  •  
GlennK

when were the old messages placed there?
  •  
jamesf

Months ago. The account is my test account which I seldom use.
  •  
GlennK

Item cleanout does work. I watch the logs and see it working for plenty of accounts every day. There must be something up with that account. Maybe a call to tech support will clear it up.
  •  
jamesf

Which log file are you watching?
  •  
GlennK

•  
TorW

jamesf wrote on Wed, 01 February 2012 23:30
There are messages in Deleted Items that are over 10 months old and after 2 weeks nothing has been deleted.

The items are deleted based on the last manipulation date. Unless I misunderstood something, you will have to wait another two weeks+ before you reach the 30 day limit and the mails are cleaned out.

The datestamp in the message headers mean nothing to the cleanout agent.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2012 17:29]

•  
jamesf

I did some further checking and found out that I had set the same settings for my account back on Dec 14th and nothing has been deleted from my account either. Unless I misunderstood you something should have been deleted by now. I think I will give support a call.
  •  
jamesf

I called Kerio Support and after some analysis we decided to change the Sent Items setting from 30 days to 1 day. 6-8 hours after making this change files were deleted based on their setting. Files were deleted not only from Sent Items but from the other folders also. It appears that this simple change triggered something to cause it work as expected. I have changed the Sent Items settings to 14 days and will monitor to make sure it continues to work properly.

Kerio Support cannot explain why this caused Cleanout to start working.
Previous Topic: Kerio Single Sign On
Next Topic: Kerio webmail only run on mini mode on Firefox 10.x
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 09:49:46 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00984 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.