Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » mac - best practices
  •  
yukiomishima

Send a private message to this user
howdy

for one reason or another we are still on kerio v6.7.3 patch1 (main reason is that we are running it on VERY old hardware)

we are looking to upgrade our server hardware.. probably to a mac-mini &.. at the same time... migrate to the latest version of kerio

so.... i am after some ideas/opinions if you would be so kind

currently we are setup as follows:
- kerio v6.7.3 providing email
- now-up-to-date for office wide calendar
- filemaker for contacts

all clients are OSX... running either entourage 2004 or 2008

so

when migrating:....
- do we also migrate our contacts & calendar over to kerio
- is entourage 2008 a better option than outlook 2011
- do we manage contacts and calendars thru entourage/outlook... or is there a better solution for that

any help/insight greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

yukioMishima

•  
willoneal

wow. you have your work cut out for you.

getting the calendar data out of NUD isn't going to be easy. As I recall you had to go into palm desktop or netscape something or other to read the format, and none of that stuff is easily found anymore.

I'm sure exporting contacts from filemaker will be easy, but if there are lots of them, carddav might not b the best option for syncing.

As for entourage vs. outlook, entourage isn't getting any newer, and outlook is proving to be a PITA to get working on some machines. If it works, great, but it might not work for long. I would highly recommend Apple Mail over either of those options.

I'm assuming the client machines are 10.6 and newer with these suggestions.

we run lots of kerio connect servers on mac mini hardware - we do use servers for the hardware, but we have external raid storage for the mailstore.
  •  
yukiomishima

willoneal

thanks for the reply

hmm... migrating now-up-to-date does not sound like fun

on the mail client... i assume when using mail... you will then be using address book and iCal rather than having something like outlook which can combine all 3-in1?

thanks again

anyone else?

yukioMishima
  •  
Kcaldera

We just did a server migration. Not exactly a match to what you want to do, but maybe some of the info there will help.

http://forums.kerio.com/m/86519/#msg_86519

Should you integrate calendar and contacts into Kerio?
Yes, it makes it easy to administer from one centralized database. If the client computer fails, you also won't loose the data because it is on the server.

Entourage 2008 Sync Services:
Entourage has a feature in preferences where you can sync your contacts and calendars with Ical and Address book. Using this feature makes it easy to duplicate your data to Ical and AB. I haven't used NUD services, so I am not sure exactly how this would work. But, I would say that if Entourage can see contacts from NUD, it should be able to export them to AB. Once you have synced your calendar and contacts with Ical and AB, it is actually easier to export from them and re-import into Kerio accounts.

Ical
1. Turn on syncing in Entourage
2. From Ical, select your "Entourage" calendar and export to *.ics file
3. Add Kerio calendar to Ical
4. Import the *.ics file you exported earlier, and choose the Kerio calendar as the import destination
5. You are done

Address Book:
1. Add the Kerio contacts account to address book
2. Select all the local address cards or groups, drag and drop into the new Kerio contact account you setup

Entourage 2008 and Exporting to *.rge
You can export your whole Entourage database to an *.rge file. This is an Entourage 2008 archive file that stores everything. This includes your calendar and contacts. When your re-import the file it is placed under your "Local Computer", and you can drag and drop from there to where you need the data. The only problem with this feature is...
1. If your Entourage database is corrupt it will not work. Try rebuilding your database.
2. If your have corrupt emails even a single one, it will fail at about 90% exported. You can try rebuilding your database all you want, it still may not work.
3. If it does work, it takes a very long time depending on how much email the user is storing.

Entourage 2008, Drag and Drop *.Mbox
This is a little known feature, but you can drag and drop Entourage folders to your desktop. This creates and *.mbox file that can be imported back into Entourage. You can do this with all the folders, from Inbox, Trash, Sent, Calendar, and so on. The only problem with this feature is that it does not provide any type of notification that anything is going on. If you D&D a mailbox with LOTS of emails, it will take quit a long time, and since it does not provide any notice you may think Entourage is hung up. It is not hung up, just be patient and give it some time.

When migrating:....
- do we also migrate our contacts & calendar over to kerio
Answer: You can if they are in Entourage or Ical or Address book.
I am not sure how to go from FM to Kerio.

Is entourage 2008 a better option than outlook 2011
Answer: Entourage 2008 works fine with Kerio 7.3, havent used 2011 yet. I don't know if you can still purchase 2008 licenses. Also, it is better to use Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition which is a FREE upgrade from Microsoft. Web Services Edition communicates with Kerio using MS Exchange protocols. Where Entourage 2008 12.2.0 uses Webdav to communicate with Exchange. You will notice a speed and performance increase if you use WSE.

Do we manage contacts and calendars thru entourage/outlook... or is there a better solution for that.
Answer: You can manage them through Entourage, Ical, or Addressbook, it is totally up to you. You can have all of them configured for the users Kerio account if you wish.

There is an issue with Entourage 2008 / Outlook 2011 error message that appears with Kerio 7.3 and not trusting the root certificate. This is totally a Microsoft issue and has nothing to do with Kerio. Read the "Problem 5" section of my other post where I discuss this a little more...
http://forums.kerio.com/m/86519/#msg_86519

BTW: I took to doing very serious backups of the users before we migrated the individual clients to the new Kerio accounts. I took an external HD and made a folder for each client. Then I copied their whole ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/ folder to the drive. Then I tried to export an *.rge file to the drive if their database did not have any corruption. Once I was able to sync their Entourage with Ical and AB, I also exported from Ical and AB to have additional backed up files. There is nothing more unnerving then loosing someone's mail store.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2012 22:05]

•  
yukiomishima

Kcaldera78

thanks for your comprehensive reply... super useful

you mentioned "posting more when you get back to the office"

i would greatly appreciate anything else you can add

anyone else have experiences/stories/best practices for running kerio as an exchange type server in a mac environment

thanks again and and all

yukioMishima
  •  
Kcaldera

Problem 5: Post Kerio Migration

Entourage 2008 12.2.0 keeps producing an error message "Unable to establish a secure connection to..." This message explains that Entourage for some reason cannot verify the certificate of your server. There are many and various posts on this cryptic error.

****Update****2.16.2012
Finally found a solution to both the Entourage and Ical errors.
There is a post in the Kerio forums that recommends enabling port 8443 in the Kerio HTTPS services.
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=rview&goto=66810& ;th=16355
We did this and changed Icals port to 8443, and the errors stopped. On a whim, we also changed the Entourage SSL port to 8443 and the certificate errors stopped. I don't understand why this works over the standard SSL ports? Both the email server and the clients are in our firewall green zone, so there should be no reason why the standard ports don't work. But, in any case, changing the SSL port to 8443 has resolves these issues.
  •  
curtageorge

Hello,
Try our new Filemaker-Plugin FM4CardDAV to interact with Kerio CardDAV. a trial-Version can you find on http://fm4all.net .
Previous Topic: Request Feature in SMTP Delivery
Next Topic: KOC not syncing correctly
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 09:26:49 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00455 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.