Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Editing documents from iOS?
  •  
Howie Isaacks

Send a private message to this user
Some of my clients are asking for the ability to make changes to documents stored in Workspace from their iPads and iPhones. I'm sure that this would be a big request from Android users as well. Will we get this capability soon?
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

What kind of documents they need to change? Documents stored in file libraries like Word or Excel files or the actual Workspace pages? What is character of those changes - are they just small/quick edits or more extensive? Thanks!
  •  
Howie Isaacks

Word and Excel documents. I don't know whether it's just small changes or not. Does that matter?
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

I am just trying to understand the potential uses of this feature and whether mobile/tablet devices will start to play a more important role in organizations as input devices. Right now doing a more extensive edit of say a spreadsheet on an iPad is still a pain and given its form factor, it is hard to see this will improve.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

I'm sorry, but you are seriously underestimating the iPad and its use as an input device. Workspace MUST and SHOULD work with the iPad, or its usefulness is diminished. Viewing content on the iPad works well, but what if a customer in the field wants to make changes and they have no computer nearby? I'm very disappointed that you have the opinion that using an iPad is "still a pain". I think Workspace is a great product, and it has a lot of promise, but if I had known that this was Kerio's attitude toward the iPad, I likely would not have sold the product to this particular customer. I apologize if my response seems harsh, but I would appreciate a better answer to this inquiry. I know I'm not the only one who would like to see this implemented. I have always appreciated the great support that I have received from Kerio, but I am disappointed by your answer to my inquiry.
  •  
BudDurland

I must confess, I've had an iPad for a couple years now, and I have to agree with Martin. Doing any kind of significant data entry on the stock iPad is just not handy. Add a blue tooth keyboard, and it gets easier. I just haven't found one of them that I like; to me it usually ends up feeling like I should have purchased a netbook.

With Word and Excel documents, the other question is how to handle the actual editing of the documents. There are several "office-like" apps available for the iPad. I certainly hope that Kerio is not tempted to try to write yet another one in order to support editing these files from within WorkSpace. Perhaps some sort of integration similar to DropBox, so that when the user downloads (not just views) a file, it's opened in the app of their choice.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

I am sorry for a rather personal remark about tablets usability for extensive data input. I see a lot of good reasons why documents editing would be a useful feature for many users and that's why I asked about the nature of the changes users want to make so that I understand the request for this feature better. We value and appreciate the opinions of our partner and user community.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

The iPad's useability is largely a subjective thing. My main point is that this needs to be a feature no matter what some people may think about the iPad's useability with Workspace. I wouldn't do a lot of editing from an iPad either, but some users may need to. This is why I would like this to be added. Tablet computing is only going to grow, and Kerio needs to grow with it.
  •  
Jennifer

This should be a feature, +1 to this request. My company has the desire to go iPad-only for certain employees and in certain stations in our offices, and I'm disappointed that this already isn't an option (like with Dropbox). As we grow and get more mobile, we will want a service like Workspace that allows us to edit our documents, or we will definitely take our business elsewhere. iPads and apps are so much more cost-effective than laptops and desktops with their associated programs. I sincerely hope you don't disregard this market.

@BudDurland, we really like Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard for iPad 2 (920-004013). (Unfortunately the forum won't let me post links.) I'm surprised at how well it holds a charge--I've only charged it once in the last month or so--and it connects to the iPad in such a form-fitting way when closed. I highly recommend it.
  •  
MacLab

Along these lines, I notice you CAN edit text native to Workspace in iOS, which is great, yet you cannot create a new page. Creating a new page would make a big difference.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
Previous Topic: IPAD2 support
Next Topic: Disable "Create New Space" for Non-Admin-Users
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 14:04:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00491 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.