Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Anyone switch from Watchguard or (?) to Control?
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
Hi Guys,
My annual subscription with Watchguard is due to expire in a couple weeks and I'm looking for some advice. I've recieved quotes from Astaro, Watchguard and Sonicwall. I've also done some testing with Kerio Control.

Have any of you switched from a major brand UTM device to Kerio Control? What has been your experience? Surprisingly, Kerio is not the least expensive option. It's one of the higher ones, which is odd due to their small market share. Aside from price, can anyone give me your thoughts on it?

Thanks,
Tom
  •  
McIrish

Wow! Over 2700 views and no one has ever switch from a major vendor firewall to Kerio Control? That doesn't make me feel very comfortable at all with choosing Kerio over Sonicwall or even upgrading our Watchguard products.

If I'm missing something, please post. I'm running Kerio Connect already and am familiar with their interface and I like the simplicity. I just need good reasons to choose Control over the better known and accepted solutions.

Thanks,
Tom
  •  
ICT and Me

I have switched a customer from watchguard to control.
Customer is very pleased with this solution. Of course the price is lot cheaper. And the administrator can handle Control beter than the Watchguard. It's simpler.

Control don't to reboot if config is changed.
Every handling will effective directly when hit the apply button.
Wachtguard, Juniper and Cisco need to restart to load config.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2012 06:32]

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
McIrish

Thank you for the information and your experience with Control. You mention that Control is a lot cheaper. I think that must depend on the number of users you have. Unfortunately, I found it is actually one of the more expensive options for 200 users. I do like the interface and the simplicity of configuration. I just wish they offered it in a way that could compete for larger medium size businesses. For a small business it looks like a good deal, but start adding up 200 user licenses and renewals and you quickly find that other larger players in the firewall market offer more functionality for less money.
  •  
ICT and Me

I agree, but do you really need that much users. Users is needed to support VPN, to control webaccess and for webfiltering. If you look to a Watchguard with yearly support cost it will be expensive too. The firmware upgrades of Watchguard is expensive. Not too mention the Websense module versus webfilter of Control.
A small advice: Take the cost for Watchguard plus support/upgrade over five years and do the same with Control.
I think Control will win. And don't forget, a Watchguard, ASA or Juniper must reboot to activate changes.
Kerio Control not. Directly effective when you hit the apply button. And a lot easier to configure.
Your time to do configuration against the time of Watchguard/ASA/Juniper will also be shorter. Is also a plus. Wink

Good luck with the choice! If we can help let us know.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
McIrish

Unfortunately, we will have around 200 people behind the firewall that I need to do web filtering and A/V on. That makes Kerio Control far more expensive than a Sonicwall NSA3500 over a 5 year term. It's disappointing. Since we already use Kerio Connect, I had wanted to support their firewall as well. But, they just are not geared towards companies with more than a few dozen employees. If we were a small company, Kerio Control would be much more cost effective. As it is, I guess I'm going to have to go with something else.
Thanks for the help
Previous Topic: Is it possible?
Next Topic: IPv6 & Poll
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:47:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00427 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.