Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » use ONLY public NIC for internet - not LAN/Kerio (direct internet traffic on my PC to only use public NIC)
  •  
RoadKingRick

Send a private message to this user
Ok, this is a subject I have deemed impossible to research on the internet, because so few can understand exactly what I am referring to, so I come the the land of experts. Here goes:

I administer our Kerio Control, and everything works great.
However, I have 2 NICS on my personal Windows 7 workstation, one on the local LAN (we use STATIC IP's), and the other NIC uses one of the public IP's supplied by our ISP. I would like to have ALL of my internet traffic to use only the public NIC, and only use the LAN card for communicating with local servers and devices.
I want to do the same thing for the owner of the company's computer.

I have already set the "connections" order in advanced settings on Network connections in control panel, but it often does not work, and reverts to the LAN connection.

Any thoughts?
  •  
ICT and Me

I understand the question, but I miss the point why you want this the same on a other computer?
Just make one computer the gateway, example yours, place Kerio Control on it in basic settings.
The NIC with your ISP must be placed into the Internet interfaces and your LAN NIC in Trusted/local.
That's all you need to do on your system. And on the other systems set gateway (ip-settings) to your lan IP nummer.

This is basic firewalling/routing.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
RoadKingRick

"I understand the question, but I miss the point why you want this the same on a other computer?"

You do NOT understand the question, and yes, you DO miss the point! Entirely!

I have been administering Kerio for over 12 years, since it was called Winroute Firewall, and the company was called Tiny Software. I have written dozens and dozens of traffic policy rules over the years. So this is NOT a "basic firewall/routing" question, at least as it pertains to Kerio.
To be honest, this is actually a Windows routing question.

Here it is again, bluntly:

100+ users on LAN (static IP's) all working fine! ALL users access internet via Kerio. NO PROBLEMS THERE!
We use TWO ISP's and use load balancing. *
One ISP supplies 6 public IP addresses. We use 3 of them for some special purposes plus Kerio uses one, so that leaves 2. I have had one of the public addresses on a second NIC in my workstation and the owner has the other. It has been working for years. (Here is the blunt part): --> The owner and I do not want OUR internet traffic to go through Kerio, but through the NIC with the public IP instead.
Here is the odd thing (and what I am asking). This usually works fine, but occasionally, the traffic will end up on the other NIC (verified by IP ID sites), and REMEMBER!! I am NOT talking about what is happening on the Kerio side, this is happening on MY machine. I also know that I can write rules and tweak Kerio to do much of this, but we don't want this traffic to even touch Kerio.
If this is beyond the scope of what should be discussed here, I will abandon this (in utter frustration).

-RoadKingRick

* 2 ISP's and load balancing is highly recommended by the way!!! one ISP went down during a hurricane last year (for 8 DAYS!!!!), but the other stayed up, and we didn't even feel it! I was the only one who knew that one was down. Can you imagine the impact on business with no internet or email for 8 days? OMG!! All of our orders, shipping notifications, and invoicing is done via EDI!

[Updated on: Fri, 24 February 2012 17:24]

•  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

From what you write it seems you have default gateways set on both your NICs. Is that so? Any particular reason for that? If you have it just on the public one, traffic would never go through the firewall.
  •  
RoadKingRick

I think I DID try taking out the gateway about a year or more ago, and I had some issues connecting to users via VNC in our other office, connected via VPN.
I will try again tomorrow, and see what transpires.

Thanks for the input!

•  
RoadKingRick

Well, I don't know what went awry when I tried this same thing in the past, but this time it works exactly as expected.

Thanks.

Previous Topic: Anti Virus causes traffic failure
Next Topic: How can I download Kerio VPN Client 7.1.0 Patch2 version?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 17:22:17 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00387 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.