Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Locked Account, High Reference Count
  •  
jschaubach

Send a private message to this user
We have a reoccurring issue where users are unable to open Outlook(freezes at loading profile) and neither their webmail nor phone receive email for a period of time. Often we have Outlook freeze at Loading Profile and I can fix that by killing the koffbackened.exe process but in this case it will not fix it. When I check open folders on the Admin it will show that user with a high reference count(10 - 20). Then any where from 5 minutes to an hour later the reference count will drop of and everything will run fine. Has anyone come across this before or now how to prevent it or at least fix it quickly? We are using Kerio Connect 7.3.1 Patch 2, with Kerio Offline Connector and Outlook 2010. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake Schaubach
Valley Cartage
  •  
beatle20359

Same problem here. All of the issues have been with mac clients so far..

We're running 7.3.2 but have had this issue on and off since 7.2.

Strange thing is it hasn't affected any of the other servers we run..

What phones and other clients do you have running?

In general one way around it is to close the email program and ask the user to close webmail and mail on their phones. Wait for 5-10 minutes and the count seems to go back to normal.

Thanks
Beatle
  •  
jschaubach

We have a little bit of everything for phones, I was convinced it had something to do with phones because one of the users who it happens to most frequently uses an old blackberry which did not surprise me that that would cause issues but just today someone who uses an iPhone had the issue and those have never had problems. Most people who have the issues are logged into a Windows 2008 terminal server and the rest are on Windows 7 machines, no mac users. Have you ever been able to recreate the problem?

Thanks,
Jake Schaubach
Valley Cartage
  •  
beatle20359

I've not been able to recreate the problem but it does seem to be the same users that have the issue here. Can you look at your CPU usage for mailserver

We have 2 identical machines, the one which has far more users on it and 3 times the mail store generally has 2.5% CPU usage the other one goes from 100 - 280%

Thanks
Beatle
  •  
jschaubach

Ours is sitting around 5%

Thanks,
Jake Schaubach
Valley Cartage
  •  
ombwatch

We have experienced the same symptoms repeatedly with one user's mailbox in Kerio 7.1.4 running on a Windows 2003 server: the "Opened Folders" screen in the admin console will show one of that user's folders with a very high reference count which steadily increases. An indexing process is always listed as one of the "users" of the folder. While this is happening the user is unable to access his mailbox on the server from Outlook/KOFF, WebMail or ActiveSync. Usually, if we wait long enough the problem "goes away by itself". Apparently it has something to do with an indexing process locking that folder, but we have never been able to get a definite explanation from Kerio tech support. Nor have I found any documentation that clearly explains what the "Open Folders" list is, or when and why a folder appears in that list.
  •  
jschaubach

Yeah those are exactly the same things I am seeing. I feel like there should be a way to kill Open Folders or something so drop the reference count but I guess the plan for now is just to wait it out. The one thing I have noticed is that the reference count increase by one everytime you try and open Outlook when it is locked like that, I haven't been able to figure out if a higher reference count makes it take longer to work though.

Thanks,
Jake Schaubach
Valley Cartage
  •  
Vic27

I have seen this problem with high reference count (20+) on the Calendar folder for two different users now and was able to fix. Here is what I did.

Both times this has occurred (two diff users) they were using Outlook 2011 for Mac. The end result was there were some reoccurring appointments that were throwing Outlook in some sort of loop. I was able to replicate the issue on demand by removing the profile from Oulook on the Mac. When the profile was removed, webmail, devices etc worked without a problem. As soon as I added the profile back to Outlook for Mac it would "lock" up the account. Now how I found the culprit appointments.

I removed the profile from Outlook for mac, thus making the users accounts work as normal. Then I added their profile to Outlook for windows. During the sync I would notice certain appointments were not able to be dismissed, these were the problematic appointments. I opened the appointments and took screen shots that way they could be recreated if need be, then deleted them. Once the problematic appoints were deleted, I re-added the profile back on Outlook for Mac and problems were gone. As mentioned this has worked for two different users. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it sure beats not getting an answer for kerio, hopefully this saves someone some time.

-Victor
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Victor, please can you send us these recurring appointments (.eml files from the store) for analysis? Thank you

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
  •  
Vic27

Unfortunately I do not have the .eml files. I submitted a ticket to kerio once, the first time this happened, and included the files but kerio was not able to replicate the issue.
Previous Topic: Remove shared calendar in Outlook 2011
Next Topic: Migrate users from Google mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 09:47:50 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00510 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.