Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Phone goes Muted while on call (20 -30 seconds of no sound)
  •  
PC_MAC

Send a private message to this user
We have a smaller Kerio appliance and have recently noticed that when doing calls, sometimes the line will be silenced to person on the other end. This period of complete silence will happen for about 20-30 seconds and the person cannot hear or talk to the other person on the other end.

Also, when on a conference call, all people are silenced (not on purpose) randomly and the one person talking doesn't know and keeps on talking.

Strangley, it seems like the silence can be ended however by putting the silenced phone on Speaker phone, or another sound output.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a solution?

Our Setup:
15 Users on Kerio Appliance (smaller box) with Phonebooth.com as the SIP trunk provider. We have about a 5/1 down and upspeed connection for the box.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Looks like the phone stops both sending and receiving audio packets when it's silence detection kicks in. What phones do you use? I would use the built-in packet sniffer to see what happens on the wire - whether the RTP really stops flowing.
  •  
PC_MAC

It happens most when everyone is called into a conference line on their cell phones - without using a softphone. We are just using the default cell phone interface. Could one person's silence detection silence everyone else, because that is what seems to happen?

The problem with Packet sniffing is that it is vary random when it happens and it would take forever to capture that random behavior and then to analyze that much data.

Do you have thoughts on why cell phones would cause this?

Thanks,
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

So the call just uses the cell network and there's no SIP client on the phone? Do you know what is your SIP carrier's policy regarding silence detection or are you using some SIP-GSM gateway?

Vladimir
  •  
PC_MAC

i would have to check the SIP carrier's policy however, we are not using a GSM Gateway. Our service is through Bandwidth.com.
  •  
PC_MAC

Unfortunately the Carrier said they don't monitor for silence detection and it would not be caused by their settings. I did a packet capture today but it was very large - it may take a long time to analyze (16 Mb). When briefly looking at it, nothing stands out. However I am no expert in deciphering that information.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

In Wireshark, just use the tool under Telephony -> VoIP calls. It will identify individual call legs, you can display message exchange graphs, or even play audio.

You can also send the packet dump to us, I will create FTP credentials for you.

Vladimir

•  
PC_MAC

Muted Problem[ 2 votes ]
1.You have had this problem. 1 / 50%
2.Never Had this problem 1 / 50%

Please respond to this poll about a silence issue. I want to see if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Thanks!
Adam

Previous Topic: SPA 3102 - Unknown SIP error when receiving calls
Next Topic: Connecting Operator to SIP providers
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 22:29:10 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00420 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.