Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » email showing up on smartphones as garbage (looks like RTF or broken raw HTML but ??)
  •  
pbwells

Messages: 24
Karma: 0
Send a private message to this user
Ok this has been going on as long as I've administered our Kerio server, so at least since 2005.

I have seen threads on this before but never a solution. Nobody has been able to figure this out and since it isn't consistent it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot on my end. We have over 150 smart phones in the company now and I get complaints regularly that email is showing up on phones like the following example. This is not the full email only a sample because there is a lot there and I am mostly looking to see if others have this problem too. We have over 100 Blackberry's, dozen or so iPhones and iPads and half dozen Androids and all experience this. The other problem is the inconsistent nature of it, we can't reproduce it reliably so we have no idea whats causing it.


From: "Greg Colaner" <blahblah<_at_>blahblah.com>
Date: March 14, 2012 5:26:19 PM EDT
To: "Paul Wells" <moreblahblah<_at_>blahblah.com>
Subject: Phone will not sync
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\fromhtml1 \fbidis \deff0{\fonttbl {\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;} {\f1\fmodern Courier New;} {\f2\fnil\fcharset2 Symbol;} {\f3\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier New;}} {\colortbl\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green0\blue255;} \uc1\pard\plain\deftab360 \f0\fs24 {\*\htmltag19 } {\*\htmltag34 } {\*\htmltag161 } {\*\htmltag241 } {\*\htmltag241 } {\*\htmltag241 } {\*\htmltag241 } {\*\htmltag41 } {\*\htmltag50 }\htmlrtf \lang1033 \htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag96
}\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag64
}\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag244 } {\*\htmltag84 }\htmlrtf \'a0\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag252 }\htmlrtf\par}\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf \par \htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag72
} {\*\htmltag64
}\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 Paul, {\*\htmltag244 } {\*\htmltag252 }\htmlrtf\par}\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf \par \htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag72
} {\*\htmltag64
}\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 My phone will not sync. {\*\htmltag84 }\htmlrtf \'a0\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag244 } {\*\htmltag252 }\htmlrtf\par}\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf \par \htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag72
} {\*\htmltag64
}\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag84 }\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 Thank you, {\*\htmltag92 }\htmlrtf }\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag84 }\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag244 } {\*\htmltag252 } {\*\htmltag92 }\htmlrtf }\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf\par}\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf \par \htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag72
} {\*\htmltag64
}\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag84 }\htmlrtf {\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag84 }\htmlrtf \'a0\htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag244 } {\*\htmltag252 } {\*\htmltag92 }\htmlrtf }\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf\par}\htmlrtf0 \htmlrtf \par \htmlrtf0 {\*\htmltag72
} {\*\htmltag64

I have run this up the flag pole multiple times, Kerio support hasn't been able to figure it out, RIM, Verizon, everything continues to point back at Kerio.

As the problem is only getting worse and upper management is fed up because corporate people with smartphones are the ones that are getting stuff done, this is killing productivity in the field. Moving to Exchange is looking like a real possibility.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Messages: 5245
Karma: 251
Send a private message to this user
The problem is on sender's side - he sends the email encoded in proprietary TNEF format from Microsoft Exchange (winmail.dat). Kerio Connect decodes such messages so it can be displayed on all emails clients. The message has two same parts, one in plaintext, one in RTF. Some clients choose to display RTF event if they are not capable to do it correctly. Apple Mail and iOS Mail does this. It is already reported to Apple.

The best way is to tell the sender to use standard email format (MIME) instead of proprietary Microsoft's attachment.
  •  
pbwells

Messages: 24
Karma: 0
Send a private message to this user
ok, since the vast majority of these emails are from internal users to internal users I took this to mean that if I disable the TNEF setting in Kerio that should resolve the issue.

Under Advanced Options, Misc. and unchecked "Enable decoding of TNEF messages (winmail.dat attachments)

I have checked daily with my couple people that reliably get these broken looking messages and they haven't gotten any since the day I made this change. One user has an iPhone and the other a Blackberry.

My boss however isn't convinced, so my next question is this, the Owner of the company regularly sends email to certain members of the local government and they reply back to him that they are not able to read his messages (frequently) and I was forwarded an example copy and it's the same issue. Would it stand to reason that their server may be doing the same thing, or would that be caused by my Kerio server, but now that I have disabled the TNEF setting, should that resolve the outbound mail issue as well?

thanks!

Previous Topic: Kerio Connect Account Assistant requires admin password
Next Topic: Invitee status missing or not changing
Goto Forum:
  


Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 11:06:05 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00390 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.
Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.4.