Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Can't open digitally signed S/MIME messages in webmail
  •  
mkoehler

Send a private message to this user
Hello.

I'm having a problem opening some messages in Kerio webmail 7.3.2. I get the following:

"This message is encrypted. Encrypted messages cannot be viewed in WebMail.

To view the message, open it in a mail client that supports encryption (S/MIME standard)."

This message opens fine on my iPod or in my Outlook client. Similar message open fine in my yahoo mail.

I did a search and saw that S/MIME is supported. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Any ideas? Thanks.

Mike
  •  
trifecta

mkoehler wrote on Thu, 15 March 2012 18:20
... Similar message open fine in my yahoo mail.

I found this hard to believe. You can open an encrypted message in Yahoo! Webmail without a certificate? The idea of an encrypted message is to open only with a mail client that contains the certificate, therefore no encrypted message can open in any type of Webmail.

I send encrypted email all the time to my clients, and never in a case a client can open it in a Webmail - otherwise you're defeating the security purpose of an encrypted email.

•  
mkoehler

trifecta,

There are a couple uses for encryption algorithms.

One is to ensure that only the recipient can open it.

Another is to authenticate that it actually came from the sender. In this method, the sender "encrypts" with his private key. Anyone can "decrypt" with the senders public key. The sender is the only one who can access his private key. Thus - anyone can open it, and you know it was actually the sender who sent it.

I should have mentioned in the body of the post that this is why I think it's a digital signature issue.
  •  
trifecta

mkoehler wrote on Thu, 15 March 2012 18:47
trifecta,

There are a couple uses for encryption algorithms.

One is to ensure that only the recipient can open it.

Another is to authenticate that it actually came from the sender. In this method, the sender "encrypts" with his private key. Anyone can "decrypt" with the senders public key. The sender is the only one who can access his private key. Thus - anyone can open it, and you know it was actually the sender who sent it.

I should have mentioned in the body of the post that this is why I think it's a digital signature issue.

You were talking about "Signed" and "Encrypt", these are two different things, not about the encryption algorythms.

"Signed" is to identify the origin of the sender, who says I am the "real" sender, no forgery here.

"Encrypt" is to encrypt the email and only the recipient who holds the private certificate can decrypt and read the email.

In your post, you were saying that you can open an "encrypted" email in Yahoo! Webmail that leads to my response.

cheers,
Previous Topic: User automatically being deleted
Next Topic: Kerio Appliance - Add network card of other type then flexible?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 18:00:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00416 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.