Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Out of office - no reply (Problem since update to 7.3.2)
  •  
sheinrich

Send a private message to this user
Hi all

This week I updatet our Kerio Connect from 7.1.4 to 7.3.2.
Everything went fine, but yesterday I found out that the
out of office isn't working correctly.
I can see the reply in the archive, but the sender doesn't recieve anything.

The only thing I can see in the logfiles is this:
[25/Mar/2012 11:22:13] Recv: Queue-ID: 4f6ee3c5-000006dd, Service: Sieve, From: <postmaster@localhost>, To: <n.name@external.ch>, Size: 788, Report: autoreply, User: eh<_at_>mydomain.ch
[25/Mar/2012 11:22:14] Sent: Queue-ID: 4f6ee3c2-000006dc, Recipient: <eh<_at_>mydomain.ch>, Result: delivered, Status: 2.0.0 
[25/Mar/2012 11:22:16] Sent: Queue-ID: 4f6ee3c5-000006dd, Recipient: <n.name<_at_>external.ch>, Result: failed, Status: 5.1.1 554 5.7.1 <>: Sender address rejected: no backscatter allowed here

Before the update this was working fine.

Can someone help?

Thank you very much.
  •  
GlennK

The receiving end is rejecting it due to "backscatter" which is when a server bounces messages incorrectly. Your server might be on a blacklist or the receiving end thinks this message is backscatter. Check the blacklists to see if your server is clear.
  •  
TorW

Kerio appears to have changed the Out-of-Office functionality, and technically speaking the autoreply is now backscatter. It wasn't like this in earlier versions.

We use 7.2.3 patch1 (not 7.3.2) and have the original recipient (eh@mydomain.ch in the log snippet) both as envelope sender and in the From: field on OOF autoreplies. Now it looks like the auto-reply has an emtpy envelope sender and "postmaster<_at_>localhost" in the From: field.

This is indistinguishable from backscatter. I would say you're being correctly blocked at the receiving mailserver and that Kerio has a bug to fix.

Disclaimer: the above is my limited analysis after reading the posted log snippet.
  •  
GlennK

uh oh. Can anyone from Kerio comment on this? I wonder also if this can be modified in the config file?
  •  
TorW

Anyone have an out-of-office-enabled mail account on Kerio Connect 7.3.2 I can send a mail to. I want to see exactly how the message headers look on a 7.3.2 out of office autoreply.

The mail will be sent from a pretty vanilla qmail setup (my private mail server), and there's no chance of a bounce. No blacklisting will happen either, and there will be no reporting of anything.

Anyone?
  •  
GlennK

TorW I sent a PM to you where you can send a test message.
  •  
TorW

I got an OOF autoreply from a Kerio Connect 7.3.2 server earlier today, and my statements above about a bug is not correct. Sorry for the confusion and everything.

The only thing that makes KC 7.3.2's autoreply look like backscatter is the empty Return-Path (which many mailservers don't even record in the headers), but that alone does not qualify it as such. Legal NDRs have those too, but for other reasons. The autoreply has a In-Reply-To: header with the original message ID, a complete and valid Received: path and is pretty much like any other manual mail reply. It also has the new-ish "Auto-Submitted" header which is a dead giveaway for a legitimate autoreply, but many mailservers (and mail admins) don't know about it, apparently.

Detecting backscatter automatically is very difficult, so how the original poster got his autoreply filtered out is anyone's guess. Some mail admin out there may not be as smart as he thinks. Alternatively he's much smarter than most folk Wink

Here's the redacted headers from the autoreply:

Return-Path: <>
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=x.x required=x.x
X-Spam-Level: 
Received: from mail.example.com ([192.168.192.168])
	by mymailserver.example.org (Kerio Connect 7.2.3 patch 1)
	(using TLSv1/SSLv3 with cipher AES256-SHA (256 bits))
	for torw<_at_>example.org;
	Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:07:12 +0200
Received: from localhost
	by mail.example.com; Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:06:54 -0400
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:06:54 -0400
Message-ID: <99089283A49565--221009432<_at_>mail.example.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <2DD604CF-F71D-473C-85C0-B6A075CF7E5D<_at_>example.org>
To: torw<_at_>example.org
Auto-Submitted: auto-replied
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Subject: Re: Testing OOF

I am out of the office. Thanks.
  •  
sheinrich

Sorry I was in hospital and couldn't answer sooner.

Thanks for your tests and answers, but what can I do about that problem?
I haven't found anything to change the behavior of the answers and I don't know
where to start solving the problem.
Or do I have to downgrade Kerio?
  •  
clan

First I would try to figure out if the autoreply was delivered to the recipients mail server. The mail log should show if the message was sent and accepted, or if a reason was given to reject it.
Previous Topic: Power Outage and now no web access
Next Topic: Backup Settings
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 07:20:05 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.