Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » DHCP option for Operator
  •  
Rolando

Send a private message to this user
It would be nice if DHCP is added in a next release version, as it is useful to install Operator in a small environment. Is this possible?

thank you.
  •  
silars

Another option is to run VMWare's (or Microsoft) free hypervisor and just setup another server of your flavor to run any additional apps you may want (DHCP, DNS, HTTP, etc.). Fortunately, you can do all this for free and gives you increased capabilities to deliver new services without relying on the Operator team.

I know I'd rather have the Operator team working on additional VoIP features, rather than integrating a DHCP server.
  •  
ICT and Me

I agree with Silars. Most of the time, we place a ESXi with two VM's Kerio Control and Kerio Operator.
Perfect combination! And redundant internet lines (different communication media)

The guys of Operator are busy with PBX things. I don't think it's needed to place a network item (DHCP) in it.
And why should you. Every small network has a internet router Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 10:32]

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
Rolando

all DSL routers don't have the Option 66 or 150.
  •  
Automation ICT

I must agree with Ronaldo,

Most common routers do not have any capability to support dhcp 66/150 options and there are lots of customers who like to see the PBX independent from there network and don't use other Kerio products.

It would be preferable if there is an out of the box solution to provision the phones without connecting to a other network.

Best regards,
Robin, Automation ICT
  •  
silars

I'm sorry, Automation ICT, but your statement does appear to be contradictory. DHCP is a very significant function of most networks. If customers prefer to see the PBX independent of their network, they will also want to make sure the PBX isn't responsible for DHCP.

By placing DHCP on the PBX, you are asking for a "network-in-a-box" type solution. Why not ask for firewalling, caching, and web acceleration as well?

The use case for a joint DHCP/PBX solution in the SMB market is fairly limited. You are more likely to see that solution in the larger VoIP installs (Cisco, Avaya, Mitel, etc.) where you have 100s to 1000s of phones. They also build entirely separate networks (or VLANs) to support VoIP.

If you are running Operator on a server, you might as well just run a hypervisor and kick up a seperate VM for DHCP. Cheaper, faster deployment, and more flexible. I haven't found too many customers who would have a problem with that.
  •  
Automation ICT

I agree on the fact that you could install the pbx and dhcp separate on a vm, but if you want to have a unique selling point, you have to do unique things with your product.

Best regards,
Robin, Automation ICT
  •  
silars

Agreed. Product differentiation is important to succeed. The hard part is deciding where to differentiate.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

Thanks to you all for your input.

Vladimir
Previous Topic: Issue displaying own number on outgoing calls
Next Topic: Manually register snom 870
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 21:32:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00427 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.