Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archiving Device for Mail Hoarders (Best Archiving Device for Mail Hoarders)
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
We had a meeting the other day in which I lambasted everyone for excessive email hoarding. I requested that we come up with a quota strategy to limit the amount of emails our users can hold on to. Currently we have no quotas and I have some users with email data in the 8-11GB range with countless thousands in their inbox. I was summarily shot down by management for suggesting a moderate trimming when emails were older than 3 years.

As an alternative to quotas, I was thinking that if there was a decent archiving system that allowed users to individually view their archived mail, then I could enforce some sort of purge to trim their email accounts. As long as they could go somewhere and retrieve said email to "restore" it to their outlook, then we could keep the email stores down to a manageable level.

Does anyone have any experience with products and/or devices that would accomplish this? The solution would need to allow users to access their individual archived emails and perform searches for long lost mail. Additionally, an administrator would need the ability to go in and view the entire archive of up to the minute mail. As an added bonus, it would be a huge plus to be able to take the Kerio Archive files and load them into the new solution (we have about 7 years of archives).

•  
jadewolf

I'm interested in something like this as well, as I'm facing a similar situation where upper management refuses to relent on storing old emails (some of which on our server date back to 2007).
  •  
another_kerio_user

catoxpress,

This is an age old problem. Much of the solution to which is down to your organisation's policies and procedures on retention.

For example, one important factor you omitted to mention was whether your organisation operates in a regulated sector or not ?
  •  
catoxpress

Well, we aren't exactly in a "regulated sector", but I really don't think that has anything to do with it. The fact of the matter is that it is a privately held company and the owners are the ones who set the policy that it is ok to hold on to all your email. I'm simply looking for a solution that involves purging the email from Kerio but allowing users to access purged emails from another archive system.
  •  
Machete

@catoxpress: I have 2 questions -

1 - You mentioned that you have a few users with 8-11GB email data - is this causing you an issue? I'm only asking because I have close to 10 users in Kerio with 10-15GB and because until Kerio I didn't have an archive solution, I encouraged users to retain email. Now I don't really care, because it's all in Kerio and from what I've seen the way they store things, this isn't an issue. But I've only been using Kerio for 4 months, so I'm a noob still!

2 - What advantages do you see from removing the email from Kerio and then giving your users another interface to review older emails?
  •  
scottwilkins

If they are using Outlook, it's easy. Enforce archiving in Outlook. Then teach them that they still have access to all their old e-mail, it's just in a different folder. And, that searching works too in archive folders. This has worked pretty well for me in the past installations of Kerio at different work places. I currently enforce 6 month archiving with no notification, it just does it.
  •  
scottwilkins

@Machete,

1. normally it shouldn't matter how much e-mail is in Kerio. But for some system setups, it can have a pretty heavy performance issue. If some users complain about e-mail speed, then they could simply have too much e-mail. Many e-mail clients, such as Outlook can also suffer when the message store locally gets too big. And, if you ever need to restore from backup due to hardware failure, which happened to me once. Took 12 hours to restore. At least Kerio makes this process easy, but with large e-mail stores it can take time.

2. Same as above, performance.
  •  
BobH

We're using MailStore ( www.mailstore.com ) to archive user email. I'm pretty pleased with it. It can do a lot more than archive but I'll only focus on the archiving.

I have set it up to archive each night so anything that not in Junk or Trash is backed up if it there at midnight in the user's account.

As far as controlling the size of users' KerioConnect storage, I have set MailStore to delete anything older than 2 years old in the users' account. So each night, MailStore removes anything that matches the 2 years or older criteria.

At this point, everything is still in MailStore and users can search and find anything in a MailStore web app, and if necessary, restore it.

Good stuff.
  •  
catoxpress

The Outlook archive doesn't work well for us in the current environment. We have over a hundred users that connect to a MS Terminal server farm. They don't always land on the same server and I would need to configure the Outlook archive to be stored on a specific drive for each user.

The size and space issue is just that. Over a period of time, it will begin to get out of hand. I want to find a solution now so I can keep our DB from getting bloated and requiring 2 days to do a full backup.

•  
Benjy

bhartung wrote on Wed, 04 April 2012 22:43
We're using MailStore ( www.mailstore.com ) to archive user email.

Does anyone know of some other software that runs on Linux/*nix ? Because although MailStore seems great it only runs on Windows...
On a broader note, which quota do you generally apply? 6GB per user? more?
Previous Topic: False detection of directory harvest attack
Next Topic: Test Locally
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Aug 18 10:46:34 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.