Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » New installation - best handsets for Mac network
  •  
fishtech

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I searched the forums but could't find any particular brand or model recommendations.

We are shortly switching over an old PBX to Kerio Operator.

We'll be using a PRI rather than SIP trunking.

We are an all Mac, Open Directory-based network. All our servers are OS X servers. We will install the Kerio box solution.

My question is about handsets...

We will need GB ethernet pass-through on all the handsets/phones.

We will need handsets/phones that can page.

I have never used an IP phone.

Is there a big difference in quality of handsets between different manufacturers?

If cost is not a consideration, what will be the best brand and model handsets/phones for us?

Many thanks,

ft.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 22:31]

•  
silars

I'm partial to Polycom phones. I'm currently using the Soundpoint IP 670's and 550's. I've been happy with the construction and manageability. They can include 1GbE switches as well as PTT/Paging (model specific). The 670 pretty much has everything you can get from Polycom. They also have LDAP Directory services.

The only downside so far has been Kerio's retraction of Polycom provisioning support. I can still do everything I want, but just requires a bit more manual intervention. I still decided to go with Kerio + Polycom.

Just like anything, it is a very personal decision. Almost like the Mac vs. PC discussion. I also evaluated Cisco, Linksys, Aastra, and Snom phones. Aastra was my second choice, based on features. You may find you like the Snom 870 since they have a white model that tries to mirror the Mac look and feel.

If you want the best sound, consider phones that support the G.722 codec.
  •  
fishtech

Thanks.

Can handsets from different manufacturers be mixed on the same network? I'm thinking of purchasing half a dozen different handsets for testing, then selecting one.

I am interested in good software integration with Mac OS, for example to sync users' contacts with the phone... not sure if that will be possible.

ft.
  •  
silars

Handsets can certainly be mixed. As long as they support SIP.

Contact management can be tricky, and will depend on what you are using for contact management. This will require some research on your part. There are lots of phones out there with lots of options.

IP phones will focus more business aspects of contact management rather than individuals. In other words, Exchange/LDAP integration versus sync. There are phones that do support personalized contact syncing, though.
Previous Topic: Removing Call Forwarding message.
Next Topic: Feature request : Call me back
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 02:03:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00422 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.